Equivalence Relation!!

StuckinMaths

≡ ≈ ≅ ≠ ≤ ≥ · ~ ± ∓ ∤ ◅∈ ∉ ⊆ ⊂ ∪ ∩ ⊥ ô
∫ Σ → ∞ Π Δ Φ Ψ Ω Γ ∮ ∇∂ √ ∅ °
α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω
⁰ ¹ ² ³ ⁴ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹ ⁺ ⁻ ⁿ ₀ ₁ ₂ ₃ ₄ ₅ ₆ ₇ ₈ ₉ ₊ ₋
⅓ ⅔ ⅕ ⅖ ⅗ ⅘ ⅙ ⅚ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

This question concerns the two relations ~1 and ~2 which are defined on the integers Z by
x~1 y if 3x² - y² is divisible by 2,
x~2 y if 3x² - y²0

a) for each of the two relations, state whether or not the relation has the reflexive, symmetric and transitive properties, giving a proof or counter example in each case. Hence determine which of the relations is an equivalence relation.

b) For the equivalence relation you found in part (a), show that [[3]] = {2k+1: k Z}

Thank you for your help!

I do not want the answers, I understand a bit about the different types. But I need a more clear explanation about HOW to work out the different types because I keep getting confused. A step by step guide would help me a lot because I'm sure I am missing some steps.

I do not want the answers, I understand a bit about the different types. But I need a more clear explanation about HOW to work out the different types because I keep getting confused. A step by step guide would help me a lot because I'm sure I am missing some steps.

So then answer daon's querry - What are the definitions of those properties?

Well symmetric is when it works both ways, like if i had 4>(or equal to)2 this is not symmetric because 2>(or equal to)4 so it doesn't work both ways.
Reflexive is when it is related like x=y, has to be equal to.
Transitive is like when it goes in a cycle almost. So if i have x>y and y>z then it makes sense that x>z also.

That's what I thought anyway?

Thanks for your help I have completed the question by myself.

Last edited:
help urgent please

hi could you please solve these equlevance relations for me as i dont understand how to give counter examples on each relation
thanks

hi could you please solve these equlevance relations for me as i dont understand how to give counter examples on each relation
thanks

Do you have two usernames or something?

3(1)^2-(0)^2 >= 0

what about

3(0)^2-(1)^2 ?