Even and Odd Functions

AJ22

Question on if the following function is odd or even:

4x/7x^2 - 1
*the 4x is on the numerator and the 7x^2 - 1 is in the denominator.
Using the approach of f(x) = f(-x) I can identify this function is not even.
f(-x) = -4x/7x^2-1 not equal to 4x/7x^2-1
However, to see if its an odd function I would take f(-x) and that factor out the negative from that answer. I am not too sure if every sign would change if I am to factor out the negative such as:
-f(x) = -(4x/-7x^2 + 1)?

Idk if that is how I would change all the terms but by doing so it is not equal to f(-x) so does that mean the function is neither odd or even?

It might help if you would use parentheses properly for the denominator as 4x/(7x^2-1). You should determine it is an odd function. Just replace x by -x and see what happens.

That would make it -4x/(7x^2-1). To see if its odd I would have to factor out -1 which is what I'm confused on.

4x/7x^2 - 1
*the 4x is on the numerator and the 7x^2 - 1 is in the denominator.
Using the approach of f(x) = f(-x) I can identify this function is not even.
f(-x) = -4x/7x^2-1 not equal to 4x/7x^2-1
We are given that [imath]f(x)=\dfrac{4x}{7x^2-1}[/imath]
Now [imath]f(-x)=\dfrac{4(-x)}{7(-x)^2-1}=\dfrac{-4x}{7x^2-1}=-\dfrac{4x}{7x^2-1}=-f(x)[/imath]

[imath][/imath]

Why doesn't the signs of 7 and -1 change? When you factor out the negative doesn't it change all the signs?

Why doesn't the signs of 7 and -1 change? When you factor out the negative doesn't it change all the signs?
We don't factor out -1, it disappears during squaring: (-x)^2 = x^2.
Edit: Which -1 are you referring to? The one in the numerator? It's not supposed to affect the denominator. See post #7.

Last edited:
Do you understand basic pre-algebra?
Do you understand this: [imath]\dfrac{-4}{7}=-\dfrac{4}{7}=\dfrac{4}{-7}~?[/imath]
If not, there is no wonder that you are confused.

So when your factoring out the negative it would only affect the numerator in this case. So the terms in the denominator would remain untouched:
-(4x/(7x^2 -1))
So if the question had a negative in the denominator like:
4x/(-7x^2-1)
this would be the same as saying -4x/(7x^2-1)?

So when your factoring out the negative it would only affect the numerator in this case. So the terms in the denominator would remain untouched:
-(4x/(7x^2 -1))
4x/(-7x^2-1)
Well there is really no factoring to these. It is a matter of knowing how signs work.
[imath]\dfrac{-4x+3}{7}=\dfrac{-(4x-3)}{7}=-\dfrac{4x-3}{7}[/imath]

-(4x/(7x^2 -1))
4x/(-7x^2-1)
Are you saying -7x^2-1 = -(7x^2-1)?
What do you get if you start with -(7x^2-1) and distribute -1?

Well there is really no factoring to these. It is a matter of knowing how signs work.
[imath]\dfrac{-4x+3}{7}=\dfrac{-(4x-3)}{7}=-\dfrac{4x-3}{7}[/imath]
What if I had the 7 in the numerator and the -4x + 3 in the denominator. Would the procedure be the same and would I still end up with the same final answer? By factoring out -1.
7/(-4x+3)
-(7/(-4x+3))

When you factor out a negative sign from you do not get -7 as 7 does not equal -7

If you factor out a negative sign from 7, you'll get -(-7).

Remember that factoring does not change the value of the expression! 7 does equal -(-7) !!!

What if I had the 7 in the numerator and the -4x + 3 in the denominator. Would the procedure be the same and would I still end up with the same final answer?
By factoring out -1. 7/(-4x+3)
First rewrite [imath]-4x+3[/imath] as [imath]-(4x-3)[/imath] which is more about knowing about how signs work than it is about factoring.
Then rewrite [imath]\dfrac{7}{-4x+3}[/imath] as [imath]\dfrac{7}{-(4x-3)}=\dfrac{-7}{4x-3}~.[/imath]