even or odd function

sanchez

Is there a way to tell whether a function such as this one is odd or even just by looking at it? Thank you.

f(x) = -5x^5 + x^3

sanchez said:
Is there a way to tell whether a function such as this one is odd or even just by looking at it? Thank you.
f(x) = -5x^5 + x^3

-5x^5 ends with 0 is x even, with 5 if x odd: that's all you need to notice.

Hello Mr. Sanchez,

sanchez said:
For polynomials, if all the exponents are even, then the function is even. If all the exponents are odd, then the function is odd.

For example, f(x) = x^2 + 5x^8 is even,
whereas g(x) = 8231x^13 + 3x^7 is odd.

sanchez said:
f(x) = -5x^5 + x^3
This polynomial contains both even and odd exponents and is therefore neither even nor odd.

Matt said:
This polynomial [f(x) = -5x<sup>5</sup> + x<sup>3</sup>] contains both even and odd exponents....
I'm pretty sure both "5" and "3" are odd. :wink:

Eliz.

stapel said:
Matt said:
This polynomial [f(x) = -5x<sup>5</sup> + x<sup>3</sup>] contains both even and odd exponents....

Eliz.

I agree, Eliz......

Since the coefficient of the x^0 term is 0, this polynomial contains only odd exponents and thus is an odd function.

We could go back to the definition of an odd function. f(x) is an odd function if and only if
f(-x) = - f(x)

Replacing x with (-x) in the function gives us
f(-x) = -5(-x)^5 + (-x)^3
f(-x) = -5(-x^5) + (-x^3)
f(-x) = 5x^5 - x^3
f(-x) = -(-5x^5 + x^3)
f(-x) = -f(x)

stapel said:
Matt said:
Indeed! How in blazes did I miss that? :shock: