Experimental Probability: A baseball team averages 1 win for every 1 loss.

sky1234567

The problem wants us to use a coin to do the simulation.

A baseball team averages one win to every one loss. Use a simulation to find each experimental probability for three games.

9. P (three wins)
10. P (1 win and 2 losses)
11. P (2 wins and 1 loss)
12. P (three losses)

I don’t really understand the problem but because it says one win one lose so I think I can only toss one coin at a time. Let’s say I’ve tossed the coin three times for three different games and have the following outcome:

GameOutcome
1WIf win can't lose.
2LIf lose can't win.
3WIf win can't lose.

These are my answers:

9. P(three wins) = 0 because it’s one win one lose
10. P(1 win and 2 losses) = 1/3.
11. P(2 wins and 1 loss) = 2/3.
12. P(three losses) = 0 same as P(three wins) because it’s one win one lose.

Please let me know if my answers to 9-12 are correct or not. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• ExperimentalProbability.png
    ExperimentalProbability.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
You are seriously misreading the problem. It is an excellent problem because it requires you to think.

It says nothing at all about one coin. It asks you to find some method to experiment. I admit that, given the data about the ratio between wins and losses, a single coin is a reasonable experimental device, but I can easily think of at least three others. See if you can also think of at least one other.

You seem to think that the question asks whether it is possible for the team to play three games with the result being one win and one loss. The answer to that question is no; the probability is zero as you said. But that is not what the question is asking at all. It is asking what is the probability that the team will play three games and win them all. It explicitly says THREE wins.

Finally, the problem is not asking what your reason tells you is the answer, but what your experiment shows.

How could you flip a single coin to experiment on what the results of three games would be on average?

Last edited: