Explain why 3.15>3.14

Aion

Hey. I know this seem trivial... But how would you prove this given that the definition of a fraction is a point on the number line, and a whole number m is smaller than another whole number n if m is to the left of n. And suppose we expand on this fact and define a fraction A to be smaller than another fraction B, if A is to the left of B on the number line.

Also how do you prove that two fractions are equal i.e. the same point? :p

Last edited:
I thought I needed to use move different segments on the number line for a specific sequence of nths to compare their lengths. But obviously 315 >314. So 315/100 > 314/100. lol

If A-B>0, then A>B.
Proof: Suppose A-B>0. Now add b to both sides. Then A>B

Also: if A-B=0, then A=B
Proof: Suppose A-B=0. Now add B to both sides. Then A=B

I thought I needed to use move different segments on the number line for a specific sequence of nths to compare their lengths. But obviously 315 >314. So 315/100 > 314/100. lol
If A>B, then C*A>C*B if C>0. If A>B, then C*A<C*B if C<0.
Also note that all division problems can be converted to multiplication problems (and visa versa!)

Yeah but I've haven't gotten to subtraction of fractions yet let alone multiplication. Thanks anyway! Also it's nice to be back, I've been kinda lazy with math, but I intend to do more math now and get into college. You guys are really doing some hard work by the look of things ;o
I'll try to contribute when I ask for a question in someway ... but I'm now sure how, since you answer every question so quickly :p

Last edited: