Exponential growth and exponential functions part 2

xxbluegirl

I also have trouble with this one
The infection rate is reduced to 8%.
Then 2 people come back to Sweden from Wales. They have a new cold with them.
We use the same assumptions as last.
How long does it take before all of Sweden is infected with the new cold?

THANK U SO MUCH !

Again, please show some work, so we have a place to start. You didn't read this, did you?

Your other question about exponential growth has been answered; this is just the same problem with a number changed.

Write an exponential function, very much like the other, and show it to us. Then solve for t or x, whatever you call the time. This will require logarithms.

As soon as you show work, you can expect help.

Is 4(0.08^t) correct?

No.

Why 4? That may be a question of how you are interpreting the problem, which is slightly ambiguous as you stated it. As I see it, this is talking about a new cold that originates with two people from Wales, and you can ignore the first one.

Why 0.08? In your answer to the other problem, you got the base right; look at that thread to see what you missed here.

Once you've fixed the exponential function, you have to set that equal to the total population (which you didn't repeat in this thread, so I'm not going to look for it), and solve the resulting equation.

Follow the example from the other thread!

You haven't answered my questions about why you did what you did; my plan was to then explain your errors, if you hadn't found them yourself in the course of answering me.

In the other thread you and others together ended up with this equation:

[MATH]2(1.14)^t=250000[/MATH]​

You yourself, as I recall, came up with "1.14^x" for a 14% rate of increase, which as far as it went was correct. Presumably you knew that the base is (1 + r), that is, 100% + 14%, or 1 + 0.14.

Just do here what you knew there. The base is not 0.08; it's ... what?