Express cost as function of L and H, relate L and H, and...

ptsoccerboy

An open-top box is to be made so that its width is 4 ft and its volume is 40 ft^3. The base of the box costs $4/ft^2 and the sides cost $2/ft^2.

a. Express the cost of the box as a function of its length L and height H.

b. Find a relationship between L and H

c. Express the cost as a function of H only.

d. Give the domain of the cost function.

E. Use a graphing calculator or computer to approximate the dimensions of the bos having least cost.

Thank you!!!

Re: need help with functions

ptsoccerboy said:
An open-top box is to be made so that its width is 4 ft and its volume is 40 ft^3. The base of the box costs $4/ft^2 and the sides cost $2/ft^2.

a. Express the cost of the box as a function of its length L and height H.

b. Find a relationship between L and H

c. Express the cost as a function of H only.

d. Give the domain of the cost function.

E. Use a graphing calculator or computer to approximate the dimensions of the bos having least cost.

Thank you!!!

Please share with us your work and your thoughts regarding this problem - so that we know where to start.

For a. i believe that the answer is
f(c) = 4LW + 2HW + 2HL
= 16L + 8H + 2LH

I am not sure if the relationship between L and H is that they are interchangeable?

I believe that the cost as a function of H only is: f(c) = 18H + 20

I do not know which cost function to take the domain of and how to graph it with the least amount of cost.

ptsoccerboy said:
For a. i believe that the answer is
f(c) = 4LW + 2HW + 2HL
= 16L + 8H + 2LH

not a bad start, but there are two sides of dimensions H by W and two sides with dimensions H by L ...
Cost = ($4)LW + ($2)(2HW) + ($2)(2HL)
substitute W = 4 ...
Cost = 16L + 16H + 4HL

I am not sure if the relationship between L and H is that they are interchangeable?

you know the volume is 40 ft<sup>3</sup>, so LWH = 40 ... since W=4, 4LH = 40 ... LH = 10.
finally, L = 10/H

I believe that the cost as a function of H only is: f(c) = 18H + 20

cost as a function of H is ...
f(H) = 16(10/H) + 16H + 40 = 160/H + 16H + 40

I do not know which cost function to take the domain of and how to graph it with the least amount of cost.

Graph f(H) in the window x:[0, 10] y:[0,200] ... the minimum cost will be the y-value of the lowest point on the graph ... min cost will be in the neighborhood of $140.

ptsoccerboy said:
so what would the dimensions be??
You've been provided with a complete explanation and almost all of the work, with instructions for what little bit is left. Please reply showing where you are stuck on that last bit.

Thank you.

Eliz.

i believe that the dimensions of the box w/ the least cost are the x and y values of the lowest point of the graph but im confused on wat the x represents. i think it represents height correct? so at the lowest point on the graph x, or height is 3 so length = 10/3

ptsoccerboy said:
i believe that the dimensions of the box w/ the least cost are the x and y values of the lowest point of the graph but im confused on wat the x represents. i think it represents height correct? so at the lowest point on the graph x, or height is 3 so length = 10/3

Have you taken any calculus yet?

In that you wold have found that the height at minimum cost = sqrt(10)

then length = sqrt(10)

Since you are doing it by algebra, from graph height = 3.16 or 3.2

Then length = 3.16 or 3.13