Feel like an idiot

KristiK

From point A to point B is 5 1/2 inches. If 1/4 =15 miles; how many miles from A to B?

Are you converting "5.5 inches" into miles (to get a very small number)? Or is this maybe a "scaling" problem, and you're looking at a map and needing to convert drawn distances to on-the-ground distances?

(You really do need to provide all the information, including the instructions and the descriptions of any necessary graphics, when you post.)

Eliz.

No, my dear this is an EXACT question on the Florida Teachers Cert. Exam!

KristiK said:
...this is an EXACT question on the Florida Teachers Cert. Exam!
Then this test is incredibly-badly written. Sorry.

Eliz.

I hope it's not multiple choice ONLY. You'll need lots of room to formalize your assumptions made necessary by the poor problem statements. Rewording problem statements is a risky business. Maybe you can get a job WRITING next year's exam.

KristiK said:
Yes, it IS all multiple choice
Then: what options did they give you? Maybe we can figure out what they meant by working backwards. (If their wrong answers are as badly designed as their questions, we should be able to easily dismiss at least one or two of the options.)

Eliz.

KristiK said:
From point A to point B is 5 1/2 inches. If 1/4 =15 miles; how many miles from A to B?
Obvious (to me anyway) that "they" meant: if 1/4 inch = 15 miles.
So answer is 330 miles.

If 1/4 inch = 15 miles, then 5 1/2 inches = 5.5/(.25)15 = 330 miles.

1/4 =15 miles or 1/4 inch = 15 miles
Can we just stop writing that?

1/4" = 15 SCALE miles.
On paper, 1/4" represents 15 miles in the real world.

There are several choices for making a valid statement. There is no need to rely on the "understanding" of the reader.