Fermat's Last Theorem

melumj

I am tryin to finish my BS in mathematics and would like to talk with someone who can answer some questions for me. Preferably someone who has worked with Fermat's last theorem. I'm not working on the problem, but just need to have an overall understanding with regards to certain aspects. Please let me know ASAP!

Too complicated

I've spent days and days searching the internet. I have some simple questions and then some more specific. For example, how and where the Frey Curve, geometric considerations, 2x2 matrix group, and other areas that I just need to know where and how they are applied to the Theorem. My professor is an expert in Number Theory and has provided me with writings on this theorem from himself, Cox, Ribenboim, Wiles, and others. Its just hard to find a specific area and how it applies to the Theorem.

Additional

I'm also dealing with this Theorem from 2 aspects. One dealing with Elliptic and Modular Functions, and the other from more of a Number theorey aspect developed by my Professor. He explained that maybe 10 people in the world today could really understand and work with this Theorem. He just wants a notebook of my thoughts and interpretations of a few key aspects. I dont need to be able to work with the problem. Just understand a little about what I'm looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

I'm afraid you may need to consider either more "hours and hours" of self-study, or else hiring a qualified tutor: You are requesting lengthy one-on-one instruction in a complex topic, and it simply isn't reasonable feasible for us to try to provide the hours of lessons that you want. :oops:

My best wishes to you in your research. :D

Eliz.

Here's a link to some links. There's even one to Wiles' actual proof.

http://cgd.best.vwh.net/home/flt/flt01.htm

Mind you, his proof looks like Babylonian cuneiform mixed with Klingon.

Since only a handful of people in the world can follow it, we can only go on their word that it's been proven.