Find all real solutions

Sayuri

I'm not too good at working with fractions, and I'm not sure how to solve this problem. (Am I supposed to be factoring, completing the square, or quadratic formula) Any help would be amazing thank you!
Screenshot (18).png

I'm not too good at working with fractions, and I'm not sure how to solve this problem. (Am I supposed to be factoring, completing the square, or quadratic formula) Any help would be amazing thank you!
View attachment 16230
Since you know the quadratic formula (no further task beyond finding the solutions), that should be the way to go here:

Note that:

8/3 = 2 * 4/3 ................ and

16/9 = (4/3)2

1579713052171.png

View attachment 16230
To avoid having to work with fractions (and risk errors), I would multiply through by the LCD, 9. The result is [MATH]9x^2 - 24x + 16 = 0[/MATH].

Now use any method you like to solve that. Any method should work for this one! (In fact, I used one you didn't mention: You can recognize that this is a possible perfect square, and try that out.)

Since you know the quadratic formula (no further task beyond finding the solutions), that should be the way to go here:

Note that:

8/3 = 2 * 4/3 ................ and

16/9 = (4/3)2

View attachment 16231
To avoid having to work with fractions (and risk errors), I would multiply through by the LCD, 9. The result is [MATH]9x^2 - 24x + 16 = 0[/MATH].

Now use any method you like to solve that. Any method should work for this one! (In fact, I used one you didn't mention: You can recognize that this is a possible perfect square, and try that out.)
How did you get this equation? I mean where did you get the 24?

The result is 9x2−24x+16=09x2−24x+16=0.
How did you get this equation? I mean where did you get the 24?
He told you.

I would multiply through by the LCD, 9.

Did you multiply the equation in OP by 9?

8/3 * 9 = 8 * 9/3 = 8 * 3 = 24

Get pencil and paper - and work with it instead of staring at the screen!!

I figured it out thank you!

If you are supposed to apply the quadratic formula, please note that the discriminant, i. e., the radicand in the formula, equals zero. This determines only one solution.