Find Coordinates (x;y) with only the angle, (0;0), and the length of the hypotenuse

Koalanet21

My very basic question is : What is the formula to find the coordinates (x;y) (noted ?;?) using the angle, (0;0), and the length of the hypotenuse?plan.png

Do you have a definition for sine and cosine? This will solve the problem.

Oh, also, 90 - 42 = 48. You MAY need that.

The problem is that I need to work with coordinates and I don't fully know how to do that. So, with an angle of 48° and an hypotenuse of 1, starting from (0;0), what are going be x and y at the "top" of the hypotenuse? (?;?) Which formula is needed?

Hint: what do these have to do with it?
\(\left\{ \begin{gathered}
x = \cos (48^\circ ) \hfill \\
y = \sin (48^\circ ) \hfill \\
\end{gathered} \right.\)

Asked and answered. Sine and Cosine of the correct angle.

My trouble, here, is that you ALREADY KNOW the length of the hypotenuse. Why are you still asking for it?

Thank you! And if the hypotenuse was, let's say, 2.6, what would be the coordinates x and y?

Thank you! And if the hypotenuse was, let's say, 2.6, what would be the coordinates x and y?
Your class should know that a circle centred at the origin with radius \(r\) is \((r\cos(t),\sin(t))\). Do you have that in the notes?
Now if the radius were \(2.6\) and the angle were \(\dfrac{4\pi}{5}\) then the point is \(\left( {2.6\cos \left( {\frac{{4\pi }}{5}} \right),2.6\sin \left( {\frac{{4\pi }}{5}} \right)} \right)\)

H = Length of Hypotenuse
x = measure of desired angle

H*sin(x) = length of one side. (You have to decide which by selecting the correct angle.)
H*cos(x) = length of other side.

The original Problem has H = 1.
You have asked, What if H = 2.6?

The point that you want for now is (x,y). So you need to find x and y. Well you were told that x = cos(48) and y = sin(48). hence a quick calculation will give you x and y. Now do you understand why x = cos(48) and y = sin(48)?