Find expected value, variance and check if estimator is unbiased for ?1, …, ?? ~ (iid)?(2?, 7?)

Radaguna

Could you please help me to solve this? If expected value in uniform distribution is equal (a+b)/2, do I just have to do (2? + 7?)/2 = 4.5? and if Var = ((b-a)^2)12, then it’s equal 2.08? Or I’m missing something?

Let ?1, …, ?? ~ (iid)?(2?, 7?)

a) Find ???:?

b) Find ??? ??:?

c) Find the value of ?? for which estimator ?=????:? is an unbiased estimator of the parameter ?

The question is unclear.
Are you saying [imath]X_i\sim U(2\theta,7\theta)[/imath]
or for [imath]Y=X_1+X_2+\dots+X_N[/imath], [imath]; Y\sim U(2\theta,7\theta)?[/imath]
Please attach a picture of the problem instead.

The question is unclear.
Are you saying [imath]X_i\sim U(2\theta,7\theta)[/imath]
or for [imath]Y=X_1+X_2+\dots+X_N[/imath], [imath]; Y\sim U(2\theta,7\theta)?[/imath]
Please attach a picture of the problem instead.
Thank you for your answer, here is the picture
task uniform dist.png

Thank you for your answer, here is the picture
View attachment 32049
I'm not familiar with the notation [imath]X_{n:n}[/imath], is that the sum of the random variables?
If so, then you're looking for
a) [imath]E(Y)=E(X_1+X_2+\dots+X_n)\stackrel{i.i.d}{=}nE(X_i)[/imath], where [imath]X_i\sim U(2\theta,7\theta)[/imath]
Use similar idea for b).

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the notation [imath]X_{n:n}[/imath], is that the sum of the random variables?
If so, then you're looking for
a) [imath]E(Y)=E(X_1+X_2+\dots+X_n)\stackrel{i.i.d}{=}nE(X_i)[/imath], where [imath]X_i\sim U(2\theta,7\theta)[/imath]
Use similar idea for b).

Xn:n is the last order statistics, like X1:n is the first order. I don't quite understand what to do with this new variable Y?

Xn:n is the last order statistics, like X1:n is the first order. I don't quite understand what to do with this new variable Y?
If [imath]X_{n:n}[/imath] is the last order statistics, then are you looking for the expected value of max[imath](X_1,X_2,\dots,X_n)?[/imath]
I'm just unclear what the question is asking for.

If [imath]X_{n:n}[/imath] is the last order statistics, then are you looking for the expected value of max[imath](X_1,X_2,\dots,X_n)?[/imath]
I'm just unclear what the question is asking for.
Sorry for being not clear enough, but yes, i need to find expected value of max[imath](X_1,X_2,\dots,X_n)[/imath]

Sorry for being not clear enough, but yes, i need to find expected value of max[imath](X_1,X_2,\dots,X_n)[/imath]
Let [imath]Y=max(X_1,X_2,\dots,X_n)[/imath]. Before you can find the expected value and variance, find the density function first.
\(\displaystyle \Pr(Y\le y)=\Pr(max(X_1,X_2,\dots,X_n)\le y)= \Pr(X_1 \le y\, \cap X_2 \le y\, \cap \dots X_n \le y) \stackrel{i.i.d}{=}\Pr(X_1 \le y)\Pr(X_2 \le y)\dots\Pr(X_n \le y)=y^n\); where [imath]y \in (2\theta,7\theta)[/imath]
What's the CDF of Y? Differentiate to get the PDF of Y.