f(x+h)-f(x)
__________ . f(x)=1000+2x^2

h

I have
f(x) 100+2(x+h)
100+2x2xh+h^2+100+2x^2
cross out like terms
2xh+h^2

I'm sorry, but I couldn't make heads or tails of what you've done so far...? :oops:

First, are you familiar with function notation?

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Re: function defined

viberent said:
f(x) 100+2(x+h)
Very sloppy notation. It is not just nit-picky. Notation will help you if you let it. Where is the exponent?
100+2x2xh+h^2+100+2x^2
This is just a mess. This mess is why you managed to confuse yourself. How did 1000 get to be 100, twice? Where is the other x^2 term?
cross out like terms
I really don't know what this means. It sounds gruesome. Why not just add or subtract? 1000 - 1000 = 0 There is no "crossing out" in there.
Nope, sorry. Try it again and BE CAREFUL. Don't just slop through it. Where did the denominator go?

Really, I have been doing such problems for quite a long time. I do not try to do any of it in my head. I never have. I write down ALL intermediate steps and check all my work as I go. I always keep a large pile of scratch paper handy. You rush, you lose. Simple as that.

Hello, viberent!

For the function:\(\displaystyle f(x) \:=\:1000\,+\,2x^2\)

find: \(\displaystyle \L\:\frac{f(x+h)\,-\,f(x)}{h}\)

Listen carefully . . .

There are THREE steps to find the "difference quotient":

. . [1] Find \(\displaystyle f(x+h)\) . . . . . Replace \(\displaystyle x\) with \(\displaystyle x+h\) ... and simplify

. . [2] Subtract \(\displaystyle f(x)\) . . . Subtract the original function ... and simplify.

. . [3] Divide by \(\displaystyle h\) . . . . . Factor and reduce.

We are given: \(\displaystyle \:f(x)\:=\:1000 \,+\,2x^2\)

[1] Find \(\displaystyle f(x+h)\)

. . .\(\displaystyle f(x+h) \;=\;1000\,+\,2(x\,+\,h)^2 \;=\;1000\,+\,2x^2\,+\,4xh\,+\,2h^2\)

[2] Subtract \(\displaystyle f(x)\)

. . .\(\displaystyle f(x+h)\,-\,f(x)\;=\;(1000\,+\,2x^2\,+\,4xh\,+\,2h^2)\,-\,(1000\,+\,2x^2)\)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle = \;1000\,+\,2x^2\,+\,4xh\,+\,2h^2\,-\,1000\,-\,2x^2\)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle = \;4xh\,+\,2h^2\)

[3] Divide by \(\displaystyle h\)

. . .\(\displaystyle \frac{f(x+h)\,-\,f(x)}{h}\;=\;\frac{4xh\,+\,2h^2}{h} \;=\;\overbrace{\frac{2h(2x\,+\,h)}{h}}^{\text{factor}} \;=\;\overbrace{\frac{2\not{h}(2x\,+\,h)}{\not{h}}}^{\text{reduce}} \;=\;2(2x\,+\,h)\)