Find h'(x) when h(x)=g(2x+f(x^3)).

nmwanta901

Good afternoon!

I had recently taken a calc. quiz where one of the questions was to find h'(x) when h(x)=g(2x+f(x^3)) at a=1, as posted in the first picture, along with the table of values. Attached I have my work. However, I have seemed to have lost points on the problem where I multiply by 3x^2. I was told I needed to multiply by 3x^2 at some point, but it is just not in quite the right spot. I'm honestly really confused where I went wrong, I thought I went about using the chain rule correctly. Hopefully someone can spot where I went wrong and can point me in the right direction, as I really am kind of confused. Thanks for the help.
Capture.PNG

IMG_1489.jpg

Good afternoon!

I had recently taken a calc. quiz where one of the questions was to find h'(x) when h(x)=g(2x+f(x^3)) at a=1, as posted in the first picture, along with the table of values. Attached I have my work. However, I have seemed to have lost points on the problem where I multiply by 3x^2. I was told I needed to multiply by 3x^2 at some point, but it is just not in quite the right spot. I'm honestly really confused where I went wrong, I thought I went about using the chain rule correctly. Hopefully someone can spot where I went wrong and can point me in the right direction, as I really am kind of confused. Thanks for the help.
View attachment 22601

View attachment 22600
In your 2nd line of response:

You have....

[(2+F(x3)] * (3*x2)

It should be:

(2+[F(x3)] * 3*x2)

In other words only F(x3) should be multiplied by 3x2

Your are multiplying the 2 by 3x^2! It should be 2+f'(x^3)*3x^2

Your are multiplying the 2 by 3x^2! It should be 2+f'(x^3)*3x^2
YES! That makes total sense, I see what happened now. I'm just glad it wasn't an error where I was way off, I realize know why it was wrong. And yes, in my post, I intended to use all lowercase "f's," just when I'm writing they sometimes look like a capital "F."

Thank you for the help!!

Personally, I was flummoxed when the problem said,
"Find h(x)= g(2x+ f(x^2)) at a= 1" since I had no idea how x depended on a!