find minimum number of sales needed, given percents, values

littlelost

Honestly, math is not my strong suite.

" On a sales job employees are told that approximately 39% of the people you give a sales pitch to will buy something. The average purchase dollar amount is $40.00. An employee wants to earn $1,000 in sales. What’s the least number of people they should give the sales pitch to, if the above statistics are correct? (Remember we are assuming that only 39% of the people they ask will buy something) "

This is the problem I am working on. I just don't know how to get started. I tried the percent problem, where : $40/$1,000 = x/100 I know it's not right, but I'm really lost.

any hint or any help at all would be grateful.

Re: word Problem

littlelost said:
On a sales job, employees are told that approximately 39% of the people you give a sales pitch to will buy something. The average purchase dollar amount is $40.00. An employee wants to earn $1,000 in sales. What’s the least number of people they should give the sales pitch to, if the above statistics are correct? (Remember we are assuming that only 39% of the people they ask will buy something)
How many $40 sales must be made to earn $1000?

If that many sales represents 39% of the total sales, how many sales pitches must be made to earn that $1000?