Find probability

bandula

please help to find answers

Box containing 2 white ball and 3 red ball A={ chosen a ball is red}
i) write down elements of A and sample space
ii) are the outcomes in A are equally likely? explain and find P(A)
A={R1,R2,R3} ,sample space ={R1,R2,R3,w1,w2} or can we get A={R} sample space={R,W} which is correct one
which one is equally likely ? p(A)=3/5 is correct ?

A={R1,R2,R3} ,sample space ={R1,R2,R3,w1,w2} or can we get A={R} sample space={R,W} which is correct one
This is indeed an extremely vaguely written question. I assume that we have a box \(\{W,W,R,R,R\}\).
Note that I do not use subscripts because except for colour the balls are identical.
Event \(\mathcal{A}=\{R\}\), one ball is drawn and it is red.
So you are correct about the probability is \(\mathcal{P(A})=\dfrac{3}{5}\)

Last edited:
This is indeed an extremely vaguely written question. I assume that we have a box \(\{W,W,R,R,R\}\).
Note that I do not use subscripts because except for colour the balls are identical.
Event \(\mathcal{A}=\{R\}\), one ball is drawn and it is red.
So you are correct about the probability is \(\mathcal{P(A})=\dfrac{3}{5}\)
A should be A={A,A,A} is it correct ? outcomes in A are equally likely ?

A should be A={R,R,R} is it correct ? outcomes in A are equally likely ?

Either of your descriptions is OK.
If you take the [MATH]\Omega[/MATH]={R, W} version, then A={R} contains only one outcome, therefore trivially the outcomes in A are equally likely (since there's only one).
This question might suggest that the questioner is expecting you to consider your alternative outcome space:
[MATH]\Omega[/MATH] ={R1,R2,R3,W1,W2} (assuming they are distinguishable), A={R1,R2,R3} and the outcomes in A are obviously equally likely.

Either of your descriptions is OK.
If you take the [MATH]\Omega[/MATH]={R, W} version, then A={R} contains only one outcome, therefore trivially the outcomes in A are equally likely (since there's only one).
This question might suggest that the questioner is expecting you to consider your alternative outcome space:
[MATH]\Omega[/MATH] ={R1,R2,R3,W1,W2} (assuming they are distinguishable), A={R1,R2,R3} and the outcomes in A are obviously equally likely.
Thanks a lot . I am satisfied in your description.

Reactions: lex