Find the dimensions of the rectangle

mkayb2112

the four sides are y (right side), 2x-4 (left side), x+3 (top), and 3y (bottom). 3, 2 isn't an answer...what are we doing wrong

Last edited:
how do you know (3,2) is not the "answer" ?

did you check your results in each equation "we" set up?

the four sides are y (right side), 2x-4 (left side), x+3 (top), and 3y (bottom). 3, 2 isn't an answer...what are we doing wrong
y (right side), and y = 2x-4 (left side) are not parallel (property of rectangle) ................... Cannot be correct.

"and 3y (bottom)" ........................... this is not an equation of a line ..... does not make sense.

Please review your OP and correct it as necessary.

y (right side), and y = 2x-4 (left side) are not parallel (property of rectangle) ................... Cannot be correct.

"and 3y (bottom)" ........................... this is not an equation of a line ..... does not make sense.

Please review your OP and correct it as necessary.

I don’t think the expressions are meant to form equations of lines on a Cartesian grid, rather, they are just variables used to represent lengths.

I believe you are saying these are the lengths of the four sides. If x=3 and y=2, then they are, respectively, right=2, left=2, top=6, bottom=6. That sounds right to me.

I'd say whoever told you your answer was wrong, is wrong! Was that software, or a human? Can you show us the actual problem, and what you gave as the answer, in case there is some subtlety in the details?

In particular, did they ask for x and y, or for the sides, or something else?

Since opposite sides of a rectangle have the same length, we must have y= 2x- 4 and 3y= x+ 3.
Multiply y= 2x- 4 by 3 to get 3y= 6x- 8. Subtract 3y= x+ 3 from 3y= 6x- 8 to get 0= 5x- 11. 5x= 11 so x= 11/5. y= 2x- 4= 2(11/5)- 4= 22/5- 20/5= 2/5. The sides of the rectangle is y= 2/5 and the top and bottom are 3y= 6/5.

Since opposite sides of a rectangle have the same length, we must have y= 2x- 4 and 3y= x+ 3.
Multiply y= 2x- 4 by 3 to get 3y= 6x- 8. Subtract 3y= x+ 3 from 3y= 6x- 8 to get 0= 5x- 11. 5x= 11 so x= 11/5. y= 2x- 4= 2(11/5)- 4= 22/5- 20/5= 2/5. The sides of the rectangle is y= 2/5 and the top and bottom are 3y= 6/5.
Not quite. I verified the correct answer in #5. That 8 should be 12, leading to x = 3, and y = 2.

Therefore the dimensions are 2 by 6.