Find the domain of f(x) = x2 - 2x-8 / x2 - 2x- 35

RicanGurl

f(x) = x2 - 2x-8 / x2 - 2x- 35

in words~ f (x) equals x square minus two x minus eight divided by x square minus two x minus 35

f(x) = x2 - 2x-8 / x2 - 2x- 35

Not quite sure what is meant.

x^2 - 2x-8 / x^2 - 2x- 35 means \(\displaystyle x^2-2x-\frac{8}{x^2}-2x-35\)

Are you after ( x^2 - 2x-8) / (x^2 - 2x- 35) which is \(\displaystyle \frac{x^2-2x-8}{x^2-2x-35}\) or something else?

YEs!

Yes correct! You wrote it exactly the way it says on my paper. Its the last one you typed.

\(\displaystyle \L \frac{x^2-2x-8}{x^2-2x-35}\)

The domain, or input will be all real numbers not equal to the zeros of the denominator, because we can't divide by zero. :D

John

Re: i dont know how

RicanGurl said:
i dont know how

Factor the numerator and denominator, cancel any like terms. After simplification, if there is any you will set your two factored binomials of the denominator equal to zero and solve for x.... you do know how to factor a trinomial, right?

Uhm

I was taught this once, and I don't know now =( if only I can study the steps to the answer, i could practice and practice.

Uhm

I was taught this once, and I don't know now =( if only I can study the steps to the answer, i could practice and practice.

Re: Uhm

RicanGurl said:

You could either factor the denominator using a method like grouping, or you could complete the square (quadratic formula) to find your zeros. You want to find all numbers x such that f(x) = 0.

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/factquad2.htm

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/sqrquad.htm

Ask your teacher to go over one of the above with you, which ever one is more familiar, as of now.

The denominator of a fraction can't be zero. So, set the denominator equal to 0:

x<SUP>2</SUP> - 2x - 35 = 0

Factor the left side:

(x - 7)(x + 5) = 0

Now, if the product of two factors is 0, at least one of the factors must be equal to 0.

Either (x - 7) = 0, or (x + 5) = 0
If x - 7 = 0, x = 7. If x + 5 = 0, x = -5.

So, we cannot include 7 or -5 in the domain, because those values would cause the denominator to be 0.

The domain is all real numbers except 7 and -5.