Find the domain of the function h(x) = 8x/ x(x2-49)

RicanGurl

h(x) = 8x/ x(x2-49)

in words ~ h(x) equals eight x divided by x parenthesis, x square, minus 49

i think its 7, 0

is it?

Re: Find the domain of the function (1 more problem to quest

RicanGurl said:
h(x) = 8x/ x(x2-49)

in words ~ h(x) equals eight x divided by x parenthesis, x square, minus 49

i think its 7, 0

is it?

You're really close!

x(x<SUP>2</SUP> - 49) = 0

The "stuff" inside the parentheses is a difference of two squares. The pattern for factoring a difference of two squares is this:
a<SUP>2</SUP> - b<SUP>2</SUP> = (a + b)(a - b)

So....when you are finished factoring x(x<SUP>2</SUP> - 49), there will be THREE factors, and there will be THREE numbers that must be eliminated from the domain.

SO ... are u sayin that its either 7 or are you getting at it to be 49?

whats ur final answer because my brain just hit a bomb!

Re: or

RicanGurl said:
i meant to put 49, 0
You're guessing. You really need to know! :!:

As was explained in another thread, to find the domain, you need to find any prohibited points or region; the domain is everything else. In particular, the domain is not the prohibited values, since the domain is the allowed values.

In this case, as you've been told, you need to find the zeroes of the denominator. Since you can not divide by zero, this means that the zeroes would be the prohibited (forbidden, disallowed) values; they would not be in the domain.

Once you have found the zeroes of x(x<sup>2</sup> - 49), the domain will be everything else. That is, the domain will be of the form "x not equal to (the list of forbidden values)".

Now, using the examples, solutions, and lesson-links you've been given, please reply showing your solution (that is, all the steps) for "x(x<sup>2</sup> - 49) = 0".

Thank you! :D

Eliz.