Find the Equation of the Plane

The Student

Question: Find the equation of a plane which contains the line x = 1+t,y = 2t − 1,z = −2 + 4t and also the point P(1,1,0)
The equation has the form ax+by +cz = d. Substitute the line equations: t should disappear from the left side. Substitute the point equation. One gets three equations in 4 unknowns.

I can do this by finding three different points, but I really want to know what they are instructing; I don't understand the instruction that I put in bold. They seem to want me to create a matrix, but I have no idea what to use for the rows and thus how to find the a's, b's and c's.

They just want you to plug your expressions for x,y,z in terms of t into the general equation for the plane.

a(1+t) + b(2t-1) + c(-2+4t) = d

(a+2b+8c)t + (a-b-2c) = d

then clearly

(a+2b+8c) = 0 or t=0, and

(a-b-2c) = d

You can reduce that down a bit and then plug in your point P and reduce it further.

Play with it some more.

Ohhhh, thank-you so much!!!!

Question: Find the equation of a plane which contains the line x = 1+t,y = 2t − 1,z = −2 + 4t and also the point P(1,1,0) The equation has the form ax+by +cz = d.

The point \(\displaystyle Q: (1,-1,-2)\) is on the given line. WHY?

The vector \(\displaystyle D=<1,2,4>\) is the direction vector of the given line. WHY?

The vector \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow {PQ} \times D\) is the normal of your plane. WHY?

All one needs is a point and a normal to have a plane. HOW?

The point \(\displaystyle Q: (1,-1,-2)\) is on the given line. WHY?
We know they are what the coordinates of the line are when t = 0.

The vector \(\displaystyle D=<1,2,4>\) is the direction vector of the given line. WHY?
I am not sure.
The vector \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow {PQ} \times D\) is the normal of your plane. WHY?
I am not sure, but I will assume that this is the result of multiplying vectors to get a perpendicular vector.
All one needs is a point and a normal to have a plane. HOW?
The point locates where the plane is along the normal line. But once again, I am not totally sure about this.

We know they are what the coordinates of the line are when t = 0.
The vector [FONT=MathJax_Math]D[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=<[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]1[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main],[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]4[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]>[/FONT] is the direction vector of the given line. WHY? I am not sure.
Surely, you understand about the equation of a line?

Surely, you understand about the equation of a line?

I know that the direction and magnitude of a vector is described by its coefficients. But I don't know why it's a direction vector as opposed to a position vector. I don't really know the difference between the two other than how they are used in this area of linear algebra.

They just want you to plug your expressions for x,y,z in terms of t into the general equation for the plane.

a(1+t) + b(2t-1) + c(-2+4t) = d

(a+2b+8c)t + (a-b-2c) = d

then clearly

(a+2b+8c) = 0 or t=0, and

(a-b-2c) = d

You can reduce that down a bit and then plug in your point P and reduce it further.

Play with it some more.

I have got as far as the matrix,

|1-1-2 ? |
|1 2 4 ? |
|1 1 0 ? |

But I am struggling with how to know what the fourth unknown should be.