Find the inverse function

ryleyzip123

Find the inverse function. f(x)=1+sqrt(x-5).

f^-1(x)=(x-?)^2+? for x>/=?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 10.42.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 10.42.37 AM.png
    20 KB · Views: 1
Find the inverse function. f(x)=1+sqrt(x-5).

f^-1(x)=(x-?)^2+? for x>/=?
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about these problems.

1604505796101.png

when I find the inverse of this function, I get x^2-2x+6. I also have figured out that (x-1)^2+5=x^2-2x+6. When submitting that answer [(x-1)^2+5 for x>=0], it said the restriction of x is incorrect. The range of f is the domain of f^-1. I am stuck there

when I find the inverse of this function, I get x^2-2x+6. I also have figured out that (x-1)^2+5=x^2-2x+6. When submitting that answer [(x-1)^2+5 for x>=0], it said the restriction of x is incorrect. The range of f is the domain of f^-1. I am stuck there
Your last comment is valuable. What is the range of f? If you look at the function, the range of the radical is [MATH]y\ge 0[/MATH], and when we add 1 to that, we get what?

That is, the range is determined by the fact that the radical is always non-negative. And this is what determines the domain of the inverse.

As for the inverse itself, you evidently went farther than you needed to when you expanded to [MATH]x^2-2x+6[/MATH]. In solving for it, you presumably wrote [MATH]x=1+\sqrt{y-5}[/MATH], then subtracted 1 to get [MATH]x-1=\sqrt{y-5}[/MATH] and squared to get [MATH](x-1)^2 = y-5[/MATH]. Seeing the form they want, I would not expand the left-hand side, but just add 5 to each side to get [MATH]y = (x-1)^2 + 5[/MATH].

What is the restriction 'y' for your original function?

Remember √ is always positive non-negative .

Last edited by a moderator:
Your last comment is valuable. What is the range of f? If you look at the function, the range of the radical is [MATH]y\ge 0[/MATH], and when we add 1 to that, we get what?

That is, the range is determined by the fact that the radical is always non-negative. And this is what determines the domain of the inverse.

As for the inverse itself, you evidently went farther than you needed to when you expanded to [MATH]x^2-2x+6[/MATH]. In solving for it, you presumably wrote [MATH]x=1+\sqrt{y-5}[/MATH], then subtracted 1 to get [MATH]x-1=\sqrt{y-5}[/MATH] and squared to get [MATH](x-1)^2 = y-5[/MATH]. Seeing the form they want, I would not expand the left-hand side, but just add 5 to each side to get [MATH]y = (x-1)^2 + 5[/MATH].

So, would the correct answer be f^-1=(x-1)^2+5 for x>=1? because you add the 1 to the zero?

Just do things in reverse.

x -->x-5 --> sqrt(x-5) ---> sqrt(x-5) + 1
(x-1)^2 + 5 <-- (x-1)^2 <-- x-1 <-- x