Find the limit

Leon234556

Hello. Someone help me with this limit, please. (I'm new in the forum)

Attachments

• 20210609_141019.png
    20210609_141019.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 10
What have you tried? What methods have you learned? Where do you need help?

I'd first try multiplying and dividing by the conjugate. There will be a further trick or two needed!

Show us as far as you get, by that method or another.

[math]\lim_{x \to - \infty} \dfrac{\sqrt{x^2 + x + 1} + x}{1}[/math]
Hint: Start by rationalizing the numerator.

-Dan

I would prefer this method. You need to be familiar with L'hopital Rule.

[MATH]\lim_{x\to -\infty} \sqrt{x^2 + x + 1} + x = \lim_{x\to \infty} \sqrt{x^2 - x + 1} - x = \lim_{x\to \infty} x\left(\frac{\sqrt{x^2 - x + 1} - x}{x}\right)[/MATH]

[MATH]= \lim_{x\to \infty} x\left(\sqrt{\frac{x^2}{x^2} - \frac{x}{x^2} + \frac{1}{x^2}} - \frac{x}{x}\right) = \lim_{x\to \infty} x\left(\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2}} - 1\right)[/MATH]

[MATH]= \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{\left(\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2}} - 1\right)}{\frac{1}{x}} = \frac{0}{0}[/MATH]
Now, you can use L'hopital Rule, which means you can differentiate the numerator and the denominator seperately.

[MATH]= \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{\left(\frac{\frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{2}{x^3}}{2\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2}}}\right)}{\frac{-1}{x^2}} = \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{\left(\frac{-1}{x^2}\right)\left(-1 + \frac{2}{x}\right)}{\left(\frac{-1}{x^2}\right)2\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2}}} \ = \ ?[/MATH]

Reactions: lex
The original suggested solution avoids using a 'big' theorem and avoids an unpleasant differentiation.
Yours is a well-worked solution, however!

The original (and the best??):

[MATH]\lim \limits_{x \to -\infty}(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)\\ \text {is } \hspace1ex \lim \limits_{x \to \infty}(\sqrt{x^2-x+1}-x)[/MATH](replacing x with -x)
Now we are ultimately dealing with positive values of x

[MATH](\sqrt{x^2-x+1}-x)=\dfrac{(\sqrt{x^2-x+1}-x)(\sqrt{x^2-x+1}+x)}{\sqrt{x^2-x+1}+x}\\ =\dfrac{(x^2-x+1-x^2)}{\sqrt{x^2-x+1}+x}\\ =\dfrac{-x+1}{\sqrt{x^2-x+1}+x}\\[/MATH]Dividing top and bottom by [MATH]x≠0[/MATH][MATH]=\dfrac{-1+\tfrac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{1-\tfrac{1}{x}+\tfrac{1}{x^2}}+1}\\ \text{Now } \hspace1ex \lim \limits_{x \to \infty} \dfrac{-1+\tfrac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{1-\tfrac{1}{x}+\tfrac{1}{x^2}}+1}\\ =?[/MATH]

Last edited:
The original suggested solution avoids using a 'big' theorem and avoids an unpleasant differentiation.
Yours is a well-worked solution, however!

The original (and the best??):

[MATH]\lim \limits_{x \to -\infty}(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)\\ \text {is } \hspace1ex \lim \limits_{x \to \infty}(\sqrt{x^2-x+1}-x)[/MATH](replacing x with -x)
Now we are ultimately dealing with positive values of x

[MATH](\sqrt{x^2-x+1}-x)=\dfrac{(\sqrt{x^2-x+1}-x)(\sqrt{x^2-x+1}+x)}{\sqrt{x^2-x+1}+x}\\ =\dfrac{(x^2-x+1-x^2)}{\sqrt{x^2-x+1}+x}\\ =\dfrac{-x+1}{\sqrt{x^2-x+1}+x}\\[/MATH]Dividing top and bottom by [MATH]x≠0[/MATH][MATH]=\dfrac{-1+\tfrac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{1-\tfrac{1}{x}+\tfrac{1}{x^2}}+1}\\ \text{Now } \hspace1ex \lim \limits_{x \to \infty} \dfrac{-1+\tfrac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{1-\tfrac{1}{x}+\tfrac{1}{x^2}}+1}\\ =?[/MATH]
This is another beautiful solution.

A slight variation.

[MATH]\lim \limits_{x \to -\infty}(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)\\ \text{ }\\ (\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)=\dfrac{(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x)}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x}\\ =\dfrac{(x^2+x+1-x^2)}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x}\\ =\dfrac{x+1}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x}\\[/MATH]Dividing top and bottom by [MATH]x≠0[/MATH][MATH]=\dfrac{1+\tfrac{1}{x}}{-\sqrt{1+\tfrac{1}{x}+\tfrac{1}{x^2}}-1}\\ \text{Now } \hspace1ex \lim \limits_{x \to -\infty} \dfrac{1+\tfrac{1}{x}}{-\sqrt{1+\tfrac{1}{x}+\tfrac{1}{x^2}}-1}\\ =?[/MATH]
[MATH]\text{Note: since [MATH]x[/MATH] is ultimately negative in this limit, then }\hspace1ex \dfrac{1}{x} \sqrt{a} \hspace1ex \text{ is negative } \hspace1ex =\boldsymbol{-} \sqrt{\dfrac{a}{x^2}} [/MATH]
([MATH]a[/MATH] is ultimately positive in this limit).

A slight variation.

[MATH]\lim \limits_{x \to -\infty}(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)\\ \text{ }\\ (\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)=\dfrac{(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}+x)(\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x)}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x}\\ =\dfrac{(x^2+x+1-x^2)}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x}\\ =\dfrac{x+1}{\sqrt{x^2+x+1}-x}\\[/MATH]Dividing top and bottom by [MATH]x≠0[/MATH][MATH]=\dfrac{1+\tfrac{1}{x}}{-\sqrt{1+\tfrac{1}{x}+\tfrac{1}{x^2}}-1}\\ \text{Now } \hspace1ex \lim \limits_{x \to -\infty} \dfrac{1+\tfrac{1}{x}}{-\sqrt{1+\tfrac{1}{x}+\tfrac{1}{x^2}}-1}\\ =?[/MATH]
[MATH]\text{Note: since [MATH]x[/MATH] is ultimately negative in this limit, then }\hspace1ex \dfrac{1}{x} \sqrt{a} \hspace1ex \text{ is negative } \hspace1ex =\boldsymbol{-} \sqrt{\dfrac{a}{x^2}} [/MATH]
([MATH]a[/MATH] is ultimately positive in this limit).
This is also beautiful, but I always prefer to convert [MATH]-\infty[/MATH] to [MATH]\infty[/MATH].

It eliminates a lot of possible calculation mistakes.

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2 + b} \ \approx \ a+ \tfrac{b}{2a} \ \) for b-values that are relatively small in comparison
to the a-value, and a, b > 0.

You can change it to the limit as x approaches +oo of \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2 - x + 1} - x.\)

Here, \(\displaystyle \ a^2 = x^2 \ \ and \ \ b = -x + 1 \)

Last edited:
Reactions: lex
[MATH]= \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{\left(\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{x} + \frac{1}{x^2}} - 1\right)}{\frac{1}{x}} = [/MATH]

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0^+} \dfrac{\sqrt{1 - x + x^2 \ } - 1}{x}\)

nasi112, it would make it easier to change it to this form before using L'hopital's Rule.