Find x-coordinates where the curve y=f(x)=a+bcos(2x) intersects the x-axis

Kayla65

I have worked out the values of a and b, but i cant seem to find the x-coordinates:confused:

The function f is defined by f(x)=a+bcos(2x), for ( 0 /= x /= pi. It is given that F(0)=-1 and f(1/2 pi)=7.
I've worked out a=3 and b=-4
Please help :D

I have worked out the values of a and b, but i cant seem to find the x-coordinates:confused:

The function f is defined by f(x)=a+bcos(2x), for ( 0 /= x /= pi. It is given that F(0)=-1 and f(1/2 pi)=7.

What is the value of f(x) when it intersects the x-axis?

What is F? You defined f, but not F

Then - to find x-coordinates of of x- intersect solve for 'x' in:

0=a+bcos(2x), for ( 0 /= x /= pi.)

0=3-4cos(2x)
3/4=cos(2x)
1/2(arccos(3/4))=x
0.361=x

Ive only got 1 answer, did I miss a step? As t meets the x-axis in 2 places :confused:

0=3-4cos(2x)
3/4=cos(2x)
1/2(arccos(3/4))=x
0.361=x

Ive only got 1 answer, did I miss a step? As t meets the x-axis in 2 places :confused:
So the cos(2x) is positive, after all 3/4 >0. Which quadrants have positive values for cosine?? Try to proceed with that hint. If you still are having trouble, then at least answer my question and someone will help you.

correct?

So the cos(2x) is positive, after all 3/4 >0. Which quadrants have positive values for cosine?? Try to proceed with that hint. If you still are having trouble, then at least answer my question and someone will help you.

pi-0.361=2.78?
x=2.78

Is this correct?:)

Thank you so much for the help

pi-0.361=2.78?
x=2.78

Is this correct?:)

Thank you so much for the help
Sorry, but no, this is not correct. Please tell us two things now. Which quadrant or quadrants, if any, have cos(x) positive. Also let us know which quadrant pi-0.361 is in.

Sorry, but no, this is not correct. Please tell us two things now. Which quadrant or quadrants, if any, have cos(x) positive. Also let us know which quadrant pi-0.361 is in.

Cos(x) is positive in the 1st and 4th quadrant
pi-0.361 is in the 2nd quadrant

I've looked this up it says in the 1st quadrant cos is
  • cos(360+theta)=cos(theta)
  • cos(theta)=cos(-theta)

In the 4th:
  • cos(360-theta)=cos(theta)

Doesnt it have to be in the 2nd quadrant because its o<= x <= pi?