Finding the area

joannamartinez

I need help please. I need to find the area of the shaded part of a figure. I need to round the answer to one decimal place. The photo is of a square box with a circle inside it touching all sides. The shaded part is inside the box on the corner edges outside of the circle. The sides are 10 inches each. Please advise. Thank you so much!

[attachment=0:ufo4rbtt]AC.JPG[/attachment:ufo4rbtt]

Find the area of the square.

Find the area of the circle.

The shaded area is the difference of the two.

Attachments

• AC.JPG
    AC.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 387
The photo is exactly the same but the radius in the photo is not listed. I have problems with these problems. I still do not understand. Please advise. Thank you.

I showed the radius because you need it to calculate the area of the circle.

Do you know how to calculate the area of a circle? I mean, have you used the famous formula before?

If your question is actually, "How do I find the radius?", then realize that the radius is half the diameter. The diameter is obvious, yes?

Do you know how to calculate the area of a square?

You are being quite vague, in your request for help. I need to know WHY you are stuck, in order to provide specific information.

Please tell me exactly WHY you are stuck, so that I can determine how to continue helping you.

I am sorry. I do not mean to be vague but these problems confuse me. let me see if I can get some of the information correct. To calculate the area of a circle, I need to use 3.14 to multiply by. For a square, I would multiply the length x sides or height and square it, then reduce it. Is this correct or am I way off? Thank you for your help and patience.

Good.

Here is my work, for you to compare.

Area of Square = 10^2 = 100 square inches (one way to write the units)

Area of Circle = Pi r^2 = 25 Pi in^2 (another way to write the units)

Shaded Area = 100 - 25 Pi ? 21.5 sq in (yet another way to write the units)

?
I'm not certain how you calculated the area of the square, after reading this sentence:

For a square, I would multiply the length x … height and square it, then reduce it.

We don't multiply and square "it". Perhaps you were trying to say this.

For [the] square, I would multiply the length x height [or] square [one side;] then reduce [this area and round the result to finish].

?
Two different ways of thinking about this square's area:

Length × height = 10 × 10

(Side)^2 = 10 × 10