Finding the Slope

danette

Find the slope and the point containing the y-intercept. Then graph the equation.

y=−9x−4
What is the slope?

Last edited:
Have you learned the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b? (Other letters are often used.)

Here, the coefficient m is the slope of the line, and b is the y-coordinate of the y-intercept. Can you see what those are in your equation?

I have never taken algebra before and I am really struggling to understand how to set up the problem to get the answer

What if you wrote the equation as:

[MATH]y=(-9)x+(-4)[/MATH]
Now can you identify the slope and \(y\)-intercept?

This is what the problem looks like

Attachments

• 20190527_121816.jpg
    20190527_121816.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 2
I have never taken algebra before and I am really struggling to understand [it]
As you've never studied algebra, please tell us why you're trying to complete algebra exercises. We can then suggest appropriate online resources for you. Thank you!

?

Because I am attending the University of Phoenix and this is the class that I was put in to and until I can get it changed to an easier course I have to do the course work

... University of Phoenix and ... I have to do the course work [in the wrong class]
Who told you that you "have to" complete course work in the wrong class? That makes no sense.

I'm sorry to hear that you're involved with the University of Phoenix. Multiple class-action lawsuits have been filed against the University of Phoenix, and they have been fined hundreds of millions of dollars by the United States government for repeatedly breaking laws and cheating students. Their legal troubles continue. The situation is so bad that multiple state agencies have been set up across the country to handle student complaints. Maybe one of them can help you. You can also contact the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau, for advice.

Please consider switching to a "real" school. Also, there are many free beginning-algebra courses available online. You can google for free, online beginning-algebra textbooks, too.

\(\;\)

I was trying to find a tutor but I am on a fixed income and the cheapest tutor I found was $35 an hour which is way out of reach for my budget.

I was trying to find a tutor ...
You're struggling because you're in the wrong class. If you were in an appropriate class, maybe you wouldn't need a tutor.

Can you go to a local community college and take a math placement test? (That ought to be free.) A proper placement test will determine which class is appropriate for you. For example, instead of beginning algebra, maybe a pre-algebra course is appropriate for you.

?