Finding the Zeros of a Polynomial Function

find the zeros of 5x(x2-4x-1)

the only example the book gives is -2x4+2x2 and the teacher hasn't gone over this in detail in class. I'm lost talk me thru it please.

Last edited:

the only example the book gives is -2x4+2x2 and the teacher hasn't gone over this in detail in class. I'm lost talk me thru it please.

"Finding the zeros" means finding those x-values that, when substituted into the equation, will equal zero. In other words, you are finding the x-intercepts. So with that being said, set 5x(x²-4x-1)=0 and solve for x.

Do you know how to proceed from here?

"Finding the zeros" means finding those x-values that, when substituted into the equation, will equal zero. In other words, you are finding the x-intercepts. So with that being said, set 5x(x²-4x-1)=0 and solve for x.

Do you know how to proceed from here?

I don't, I have tried factoring inside the parenthesis, and completing the square, I've tried to set it equal to zero and dividing the 5x out then solving. I'm just lost.

I don't, I have tried factoring inside the parenthesis, and completing the square, I've tried to set it equal to zero and dividing the 5x out then solving. I'm just lost.

OK, this forum is not really a place for us to teach students who don't understand, but I will cave just this once as I can feel your desperation (call me a softie).

When you have the products of individual terms equal to zero, you can solve for the variable by setting each term equal to zero as one or more of the products must equal zero for the equation to be true.

So for this problem you have 5x(x²-4x-1) = 0

Thus, 5x = 0 and therefore x = 0 is one solution.

Next, set x²-4x-1 = 0. For this you can't factor so you must use the quadratic equation. I'll let you finish this one off...

OK, this forum is not really a place for us to teach students who don't understand, but I will cave just this once as I can feel your desperation (call me a softie).

When you have the products of individual terms equal to zero, you can solve for the variable by setting each term equal to zero as one or more of the products must equal zero for the equation to be true.

So for this problem you have 5x(x²-4x-1) = 0

Thus, 5x = 0 and therefore x = 0 is one solution.

Next, set x²-4x-1 = 0. For this you can't factor so you must use the quadratic equation. I'll let you finish this one off...

so then, if I'm doing this correctly I would come out to x=0, x=2-(square root)5, x=2+(square root)5?

The "zeroes" of f(x) are those values of x for which f(x) = 0. Another word for the same thing is "roots." Are you clear on the definition?

A polynomial of degree n is defined as \(\displaystyle \displaystyle P_n(x) = \sum_{i = 1}^{n+1}a_ix^{n + 1 - i}, a_1 \ne 0.\)

That is, a polynomial in x of degree n is a sum, where each summand is a number times a power of x, and the highest power is n. Very simple.
Do you understand what a polynomial is?

A polynomial of degree n has AT MOST n distinct real zeroes.

A polynomial with real zeroes can be factored into linear terms, where each linear term is x MINUS the real root.

Finding the zeroes of a polynomial is frequently a matter of factoring it. (There are general ways to solve quadratics, cubics, and quartics that do not require factoring.)

So let's look at the book's example. \(\displaystyle Where\ does\ -2x^4 + 2x^2 = 0?\)

Let's factor

\(\displaystyle -2x^4 + 2x^2 = 2(x^2)(x^2 - 1) = 0.\)

But we want differences with x.

\(\displaystyle 2(x^2)(x^2 - 1) = 2(x - 0)^2(x - 1)(x + 1) = 0.\)

\(\displaystyle \text{That means the zeroes are: }0,\ 1,\ and -1.\)

Lets check

\(\displaystyle -2(0)^4 + 2(0)^2 = -2 * 0 + 2 * 0 = 0 + 0 = 0.\ OK.\)

\(\displaystyle -2(1)^4 + 2(1)^2 = - 2 * 1 + 2 * 1 = -2 + 2 = 0.\ OK.\)

\(\displaystyle -2(-1)^4 + 2(-1)^2 = -2 * 1 + 2 * 1 = -2 + 2 = 0.\ OK.\)

OK The problem you gave is ALREADY partially factored. Complete factoring. Can you figure out the zeroes now?