Finite or Pre Calc...I have to choose!

sleepystudent

Please tell me which class to take (college). I really dislike math & am just hoping to grit my teeth & get through this.

It has been many years since I have taken any math class & will be taking algebra this spring, followed by either finite or pre-calc. I would really appreciate any opinions about which would be the most understandable for a math phobic person.

Thanks so much for your replies.

It's a bit tough to reply with no background information whatsoever. All we know is that you have strong negative feelings. I suspect you will fail miserably as you maintain this attitude. Let it go. There is no need to retain it.

Did you take a placement test? Do you believe you will be in appropriate material?

One thing I think is important to know is the nature of a placement examination. If you get ALL the problems right, the test has not descriminated anything. Such an exam cannot tell you what class might be most appropriate. You must miss some problems in order for the test to perform its function. If you missed a problem, it seems likely that you felt inadequate or "stupid". There is no need for such a response. It is the test's function to exceed your knowledge. Don't take it personally. It is NOT telling you how dumb you are. It is telling you where you have learning opportunities.

Relax. Leave your fear at the door. Do well.

Thank you for your reply.

I have not recently taken a placement exam, but I did take algebra, only it has been too long for it to count toward my major. I have to retake it, then take either finite or pre-calc.

I was looking for a suggestion regarding "understandable" content in one class vs the other for people who aren't comfortable with ANY math.

I don't have to like the class to do well, but I do understand your point about attitude being important for succesful completion of the course. It is required for my major & I will not let one class disrupt my career plans if it means getting a tutor five days a week.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

The pre-calculus course will be a more in depth examination of the basic material in algebra and trig. The finite mathematics course will explore a range of new topics: logic, truth tables, sets, basic counting and probability. If I were you, I would go to the bookstore and compare the two assigned textbooks. See what you pleases you most.