Force

I Love Pi

Question: Does the centripetal force comes from [normal, tension, gravity, friction, etc]?

My answer: I believe centripetal force comes from tension.
I made this conclusions since the centripetal force pulls an object rotating in a circle around a center of origin toward the center of origin. Could you please let me know if this holds true

Attachments

• 0FC4E998-07B7-492E-8518-E206411F867B.jpeg
    0FC4E998-07B7-492E-8518-E206411F867B.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1
I would say that the centripetal force could come from any of them.

I will give you some examples. An astronaut orbiting the earth, the gravity is causing the centripetal acceleration.

If you place an object at the end of a rope and swing it, the tension is causing the centripetal acceleration.

I don't have examples in my mind of normal and friction, but I believe that all of the mentioned above can cause the centripetal force

Note that: centripetal acceleration x mass = centripetal force.

topsquark is a great physicist and he can say more about this subject.

I don't have [an example for friction in mind], but I believe that [it can be a] centripetal force
Correct, nasi112. When a car turns on a road at high speed, it's the static friction between the tires and the road that keeps the car from sliding outwards. Hence, that friction force points inward, acting as a centripetal force.

:)
[imath]\;[/imath]

Question: Does the centripetal force comes from [normal, tension, gravity, friction, etc]?

My answer: I believe centripetal force comes from tension.
I made this conclusions since the centripetal force pulls an object rotating in a circle around a center of origin toward the center of origin. Could you please let me know if this holds true
The centripetal force, in the case you are talking about and assuming the circle is vertical, comes from both the tension and the weight. The centripetal force is the net force in the radial direction. Both of your forces have components in the radial direction so they both contribute to the sum.

The centripetal force can really come from any force that is acting on the object.

-Dan