Force

Camerontocher

Any help?

A maker buoy buoy is attached to an anchor is completely submerged in sea water with a density of 1020kg/m3, assuming the buoy is spherical with a diameter of 400mm and a mass of 40kg determine the force on the anchor chain.

Any help?

A maker buoy buoy is attached to an anchor is completely submerged in sea water with a density of 1020kg/m3, assuming the buoy is spherical with a diameter of 400mm and a mass of 40kg determine the force on the anchor chain.

What is the volume of the sphere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so this is a physics problem true and true so I'm going to answer it as such.
ΣF=ma (Net force on the buoy is equal to mass times acceleration)
ΣF=ma=0 (This problem is a static equilibrium problem: Nothing is moving)
ΣF = T+B+Fg (Net force is equal to the Tension of the chain plus the Buoyant Force + the force of Gravity)
0=T+B-Fg (Gravity is in the downward direction and so it is negative.
T=Fg-B (Solve for the chain tension)
T= mg - ρgV (mass x g (Earth's gravitational Constant 9.8m/s^2) = Fg, density (ρ = rho)*g*volume = Buoyant force)
(m=40kg g=9.8m/s^2 ρ=1020kg/m^3 V=(4/3)*π*r^3 (pi * radius of sphere cubed = Volume of Sphere)
T = (40kg * 9.8m/s^2) - (1020kg/m^3 * 9.8m/s^2 * (4/3) * π * (.2m)^3) r=.2m 1/2 diameter of .4m 1000mm = 1m

T=57.03 N (Newtons are the unit of Force)

Hope this helps

Okay so this is a physics problem true and true so I'm going to answer it as such.
ΣF=ma (Net force on the buoy is equal to mass times acceleration)
ΣF=ma=0 (This problem is a static equilibrium problem: Nothing is moving)
ΣF = T+B+Fg (Net force is equal to the Tension of the chain plus the Buoyant Force + the force of Gravity)
0=T+B-Fg (Gravity is in the downward direction and so it is negative.
T=Fg-B (Solve for the chain tension)
T= mg - ρgV (mass x g (Earth's gravitational Constant 9.8m/s^2) = Fg, density (ρ = rho)*g*volume = Buoyant force)
(m=40kg g=9.8m/s^2 ρ=1020kg/m^3 V=(4/3)*π*r^3 (pi * radius of sphere cubed = Volume of Sphere)
T = (40kg * 9.8m/s^2) - (1020kg/m^3 * 9.8m/s^2 * (4/3) * π * (.2m)^3) r=.2m 1/2 diameter of .4m 1000mm = 1m

T=57.03 N (Newtons are the unit of Force)

Hope this helps

When im trying to write this into a calculator my answer is negative how did you get the answer of 57.03