Forgive my ignorance!

writingchick

Hi. Forgive my mathamatical ignorance, but I am a writer who works from the other side of the brain lol! I am writing a book in which one of my characters is a high school junior who is caught cheating on a math test. I need to know what type of math problem is taught at that level that you really can't use a calculor to solve.

Thanks so much for your help! :wink:

Writing chick!

Hello, writingchick!

It depends on the student, I suppose.

If he/she is "good" in math, it might be Trignometry or even Calculus.
(But trig would certainly require a calculator.

An "average" student could be taking Algebra (One or Two) in the junior year.

If additional details, we can help more.

For example, how deeply do you want to get into his/her cheating?
Was he caught with the Quadratic Formula written on his sleeve?
Is the type of math course important at all?
. . Does it somehow help to define the character?
Or is the method of cheating more important?

Geometry construction might be fun. The student could have a sharp object to make the whole thing more exciting.

writingchick said:
Hi. Forgive my mathamatical ignorance, but I am a writer who works from the other side of the brain lol! I am writing a book in which one of my characters is a high school junior who is caught cheating on a math test. I need to know what type of math problem is taught at that level that you really can't use a calculor to solve.
Thanks so much for your help! :wink: Writing chick!

If you're writing, then mathamatical should be mathematical and calculor
should be calculator...keep your editor happy!

What do you mean by: can't use a calculator to solve ?
No calculator allowed, all calculations by hand?
Or the problem is such that "logic" is required, thus a calculator is not required?

Hi everyone! Wow...what a flurry of replies! Thank you all!

First off, a note regarding the spelling errors in my post....LOL! What a great writer, no?! :oops: Thankfully, I usually have spell check on my side most of the time!!! :p

It's just a minor scene, but I'm a stickler for details (if not spelling, LOL!)

The student in question is sitting at the dinner table with Mom and Dad. They have just found out about her cheating. She says something to the effect of "What's the big deal...if I ever need to do XYZ in the real world, I'll just use a calculator!" Dad, who loves math, says, "You can't use a calculator to do XYZ". They found her right and wrong answers exactly matched those of her seat-mate. Possibly a standardized test where showing work was not required?

Now, I came really close to failing math in high school, so I can sympathize with this young kid (not terribly mathematically inclined is she!) ! (Note to readers: I did not fail English or spelling!).

Thanks again for your help! I bow to your mathematical prowess!

writingchick

Cheating at math only a minor scene?! How can you say that? :wink:

Sadly, calculators continue to perform amazing feats. There aren't many things left...maybe Proving Trig Identities?

Let's see: "You can't use a calculator to prove trig identities, Sweetheart." {with a raised eyebrow and a subtle shake of the head, leaning to a look of sincere concern}.

Ummm...I think I'll leave the writing to you.