Form of General Solution Regarding x

Jason76

In this example, x is on the top, but could it also be on the bottom?

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{x}{y} = -3\ln|x| + C_{1}\)

Now attempting to isolate y on the left side. So we do a reciprocal on both sides:

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{y}{x} = \dfrac{1}{-3\ln|x| + C_{1}}\)

\(\displaystyle y = \dfrac{x}{-3\ln|x| + C_{1}}\)

What are you trying to do? If you want to solve for y, to be able to write y= f(x), then, yes, to go from "y/x" to "y" you have to multiply both sides by x which gives x in the numerator. I'm not sure what you mean by "could it also be on the bottom?" If you mean simply "can we have x in the denominator as well as in the numerator", yes, of course. You can have very complicated functions.

What are you trying to do? If you want to solve for y, to be able to write y= f(x), then, yes, to go from "y/x" to "y" you have to multiply both sides by x which gives x in the numerator. I'm not sure what you mean by "could it also be on the bottom?" If you mean simply "can we have x in the denominator as well as in the numerator", yes, of course. You can have very complicated functions.

My mistake. If you eliminate x without doing the reciprocal, then you have 1 over y. Later, you have to do a reciprocal anyways (to get it into proper form), Therefore, you end up with x on the top again.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{x}{y} = -3\ln|x| + c_{1}\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{y} = \dfrac{-3\ln|x| + c_{1}}{x}\)

So reciprocal is still required:

\(\displaystyle y = \dfrac{x}{-3\ln|x| + c_{1}}\)

Last edited: