Formula in a video game

Event Planner

Hello,

I'm really sorry to bother you all, and this may be a bit of an odd question, and not really homework. If I placed this in the wrong section, please move it, or tell me where I should post it.

I play a video game called fallen earth, and I am trying to figure out how the game calculates a certain value... Which is, damage reduction percentage.

Now, wearing armor in game, grants you a value called "resists". So for instance, you can wear a shirt, and it will give you 5 resists, and boots, and they will give you let's say 20 resists.

The game takes this value, let's call it "AR", puts it in through some equation, and it gives you actual damage reduction, that is, a percentage of damage that certain amount of Armor Resist will give you.

However, these numbers have some sort of... Series relation? Or maybe a rounding error? I know I am way in over my head, math was never my strong suit, but I'm hoping someone would be able to take a stab at this.

Now, I have been equipping different armor pieces in game to figure out the relation, and here's what I got -

Armor Resist
Damage Reduction
0%
1%
2%
2%
3%
4%
4%
5%
6%
6%
7%
8%
8%
9%
10%
10%
11%
12%
12%
13%

Any ideas, anyone? How the game takes this value of Armor Resists and converts it into a percentage of damage reduction?

Thank you in advance, even for just reading.

Hello,

I'm really sorry to bother you all, and this may be a bit of an odd question, and not really homework. If I placed this in the wrong section, please move it, or tell me where I should post it.

I play a video game called fallen earth, and I am trying to figure out how the game calculates a certain value... Which is, damage reduction percentage.

Now, wearing armor in game, grants you a value called "resists". So for instance, you can wear a shirt, and it will give you 5 resists, and boots, and they will give you let's say 20 resists.

The game takes this value, let's call it "AR", puts it in through some equation, and it gives you actual damage reduction, that is, a percentage of damage that certain amount of Armor Resist will give you.

However, these numbers have some sort of... Series relation? Or maybe a rounding error? I know I am way in over my head, math was never my strong suit, but I'm hoping someone would be able to take a stab at this.

Now, I have been equipping different armor pieces in game to figure out the relation, and here's what I got -

Armor Resist
Damage Reduction
0%
1%
2%
32%
43%
54%
64%
75%
86%
96%
107%
118%
128%
139%
1410%
1510%
1611%
1712%
1812%
1913%
Any ideas, anyone? How the game takes this value of Armor Resists and converts it into a percentage of damage reduction?

Thank you in advance, even for just reading.

It's just a rounded linear function. I put the data into Excel and made a scatter plot (which shows nicely what is happening) and asked for a trendline; it gave me y = 0.0067x + 0.003 (giving decimal answers to be displayed as percents); if you take that value and round to the nearest percent, it gives exactly what you want.

Doing it by hand (working with percent numbers rather than decimals), we can see that the slope is 12/18 = 2/3, and we just have to add a small number to make sure the rounding works as desired. I'd make it 2/3*x+0.25.

Ah, thank you very much! I thought it would be more complicated, but this I think I can figure out now, thanks to you :grin:

The resists change by player level, but I think I can figure out the equation by doing something similar to what you did, except in my ti83... Time to dust that old thing off and find the manual! Thank you again!