fraction conversion

chippie

I am trying to convert 7 3/5 into a percent,
and 633 1/3 as a fraction or mixed number
I am wearing out my eraser as I keep coming up with different answers. HELP!!

As an example, I will convert 5 1/6 to a percent.
\(\displaystyle 5\frac{1}{6}= 5 + \frac{1}{6}= \frac{30}{6}+\frac{1}{6}=\frac{30+1}{6}=\frac{31}{6}\).

31/6 means 31 divided by 6, so do the long division getting 5.166666... on and on forever. Depending on which rule to follow to round this off, you might come up with different results. I will choose to round off to the nearest thousandth. That gives me 5.167.
To convert a decimal fraction to a percent, multiply by 100 and add the percent sign. This gives me 516.7%.
Some people would convert to a percent first, then do the rounding off. It's just a matter of choice as to how accurate to be.

chippie said:
… convert … 633 1/3 as a fraction or mixed number

'Allo Chippie:

633 1/3 is already a Mixed number.

A Mixed number is the addition of a Whole number and a Proper fraction.

633 1/3 = 633 + 1/3

633 is a Whole number.

1/3 is a Proper fraction.

Any Mixed number can be converted into an Improper fraction. Is this what you're supposed to do?

An Improper fraction is when the number on top (the numerator) is larger than the number on bottom (the denominator).

For example, convert the Mixed number 444 5/7 into an Improper fraction.

First multiply the Whole number times the denominator; second, add the numerator to the result; third, write the total over the denominator.

444 * 7 = 3108

3108 + 5 = 3113

3113/7

In other words, the Mixed number 444 5/7 equals the Improper fraction 3113/7.

Symbolically, the conversion of a Mixed number to an Improper fraction looks like this:

A + B/C = (A*C + B)/C

2 3/5 = 2 + 3/5 = (2*5 + 3)/5 = (10 + 3)/5 = 13/5

Here's a "beginner's" site for working with fractions. Check it out, if you have time. 8-)

CLICK HERE

Cheers,

~ Mark

brittanief said:
… I found this video lesson on MindBites …

MindBites is not a free service. You'll need a credit card or PayPal account to view these "lessons".

From their web site: "MindBites is a complete web marketplace and publishing platform for tutorials and how-to lessons. We offer everything you need to sell, market and distribute instructional content on the web."