fraction within fraction algebra: sqrt(5)+2 = 4 + 1/(4 + 1/(4 + 1/(sqrt(5)-a))); find "a"

nanase

I am currently working on this basic algebra/arithmetic problem
b1 q.jpeg
I tried simplifying from the last but ended up getting something I can't simplify further
b1 working.jpeg
the answer said it should be -2.
Can somebody tell me if I made an error in the step, or is there a better way for solving this?
Thanks ^^

It would be a very good idea to distribute that 4:

1708314662632.png

Alternatively, you could solve without simplifying, just repeatedly subtracting 4 and taking reciprocals (and rationalizing denominators). That will work very nicely.

Thank you Dr Peterson, I tried your interesting way of subtracting by 4, taking reciprocal and multiplying with conjugates. I got my last equation as [math]\sqrt{5} + 2 = \sqrt{5} - a[/math]which gives a as -2.
Very enlightened to see the process and getting the answer, credit to you. Thanks!

Notice the RHS can be written as
[math]x = 4 + \dfrac{1}{x} \implies x^2-4x-1=0 \implies x = \sqrt{5} \pm 2[/math]

This is true for the infinite continued fraction, which is probably where they got their problem.
I suspected it was infinite as the LHS and the last denominator have similar forms i.e. [imath]\sqrt{5} + 2[/imath] and [imath] \sqrt{5} -a[/imath].

The 2nd to the last line also has an error. The number of sqrt(5) is not 15, ie 15sqrt(5) is not correct.