Frustum of a cone question

Ocean

I’m having a lot of trouble with this question.. i’ve found arc length for part a but I have no idea how to show in radians theta = [2 pi (r - t)] / s as well as part bi and bii.33750EFD-B5A9-4F56-8F27-9BC0ADD46DDA.jpeg

Using the arc-length formula, I would write:

[MATH]\overparen {XY}=(x+s)\theta=2\pi r[/MATH]
[MATH]\overparen {AB}=x\theta=2\pi t[/MATH]
Now, subtracting the latter from the former, what would we obtain?

Using the arc-length formula, I would write:

[MATH]\overparen {XY}=(x+s)\theta=2\pi r[/MATH]
[MATH]\overparen {AB}=x\theta=2\pi t[/MATH]
Now, subtracting the latter from the former, what would we obtain?
Thank you! So I would get 2 pi (r-t) if I subtract latter from former. But why do we need to do that? And where does dividing by s come in as theta = [2 pi (r-t)] / s?

You want to subtract not just the rightmost parts of the equations, but the two rightmost parts, so that you have:

[MATH](x+s)\theta-x\theta=2\pi r-2\pi t[/MATH]
What do you get from that, upon solving for \(\theta\)?

You want to subtract not just the rightmost parts of the equations, but the two rightmost parts, so that you have:

[MATH](x+s)\theta-x\theta=2\pi r-2\pi t[/MATH]
What do you get from that, upon solving for \(\theta\)?
I get theta = [2 pi (r - t)] / s. Wow Thank you so much!! Hmm I’m stil not sure about part b.. do I need to arrange it for x using similar triangles?

I would begin by stating:

[MATH]x=\frac{2\pi t}{\theta}[/MATH]
Now, substitute into that, the value you just found for \(\theta\), and simplify.

For the similar triangles, consider one right triangle with hypotenuse \(s+x\) and horizontal leg \(r\), and another with hypotenuse \(x\) and horizontal leg \(t\). :)

I would begin by stating:

[MATH]x=\frac{2\pi t}{\theta}[/MATH]
Now, substitute into that, the value you just found for \(\theta\), and simplify.

For the similar triangles, consider one right triangle with hypotenuse \(s+x\) and horizontal leg \(r\), and another with hypotenuse \(x\) and horizontal leg \(t\). :)
Thank you so, so much!! You’ve helped me so much.