Function problem!!!

elisemd

Alright, so I was given this problem:
Given the function y=f(x-3)+4, which of the following is true?
a. The function of y=f(x) is a reflection over the x-axis.
b. The function of y=f(x) is translated 3 units to the left and 4 units upward.
c. The function of y=f(x) is translated 3 units to the right and 4 units upward.
d. The function of y=f(x) is translated 3 units to the right and 4 units downward.
e. The function of y=f(s) is a reflection over the y-axis.

Are you supposed to graph that into the calculator? I didn't know how to, if you're supposed to because of the f. I'm just plain confused on this one. Help? Thanx.

~Elise

elisemd said:
Alright, so I was given this problem:
Given the function y=f(x-3)+4, which of the following is true?
a. The function of y=f(x) is a reflection over the x-axis.
b. The function of y=f(x) is translated 3 units to the left and 4 units upward.
c. The function of y=f(x) is translated 3 units to the right and 4 units upward.
d. The function of y=f(x) is translated 3 units to the right and 4 units downward.
e. The function of y=f(s) is a reflection over the y-axis.

Are you supposed to graph that into the calculator? I didn't know how to, if you're supposed to because of the f. I'm just plain confused on this one. Help? Thanx.

~Elise

Have you learned transformations yet?

If not, you can always pick a function and use it as an example, and see which choice is true.

In this case, we have y=f(x) and are asked to determine what transformations it undergoes.

Some tips:

y=f(x)+2 is the equation of the graph when y=f(x) is shifted up 2 units, whereas y=f(x)-2 is the equation of the graph when y=f(x) is shifted down 2 units.

y=f(x-2) is the equation of the graph when y=f(x) is shifted 2 units to the right, whereas y=f(x+2) is the equation of the graph when y=f(x) is shifted 2 units to the left.

y=f(x) is a reflection over the x-axis when f(-x)=-f(x), and a reflection over the y-axis when f(-x)=f(x)

Now, with those tips, can you figure it out?