Function Transformations

markp70

"Shown below is the functions f(x). Graph the following transformation on the same grid: p(x) = 3f(x-5)"

(link to function^^^)

I know that there is a vertical stretch by a factor of 3, and a horizontal translation 5 units to the right, just I don't understand how to apply the vertical stretch to this oddly shaped function f(x). My question is how would vertically stretch the function by a factor of 3 and what would it look like? Thanks :)

"Shown below is the functions f(x). Graph the following transformation on the same grid: p(x) = 3f(x-5)"

(link to function^^^)

I know that there is a vertical stretch by a factor of 3, and a horizontal translation 5 units to the right, just I don't understand how to apply the vertical stretch to this oddly shaped function f(x). My question is how would vertically stretch the function by a factor of 3 and what would it look like? Thanks :)
No need to figure out what exactly "stretch" does. You are given the transformation: p(x) = 3f(x-5)
In addition to the horizontal shift, the value of f is multiplied by 3. So take y values of the function f and multiply them by 3, that's your stretch.

If f(x-5) = 7 for example for some x value the 3f(x-5) = 3*7 for that same x value. All that happens is that all the y values that multiplied by 3.