function values

shawnwilk

I am taking a class online and I am not good at math, the question is telling me to find the indicated function values for a linear equation with the f of x being a variety of values. then it gives the values for x it wants you to use

How do I find the indicated function values?
What does this mean?

shawnwilk said:
I am taking a class online and I am not good at math, the question is telling me to find the indicated function values for a linear equation with the f of x being a variety of values. then it gives the values for x it wants you to use

How do I find the indicated function values?
What does this mean?
It just means plug that value of x into the formula for the function. Example: if the function is f(x)=5x-2, and you are given the value x=3, then you put x=3 and you get f(3) = 5*3 - 2 = 15 - 2 = 13. So the answer is 13. That's all there is to it. :)

shawnwilk said:
I am taking a class online and I am not good at math...
How do I find the indicated function values? What does this mean?
If you're not getting classroom instruction and the book isn't cutting it for you, then you need to consider getting a supplemental book (they have actually come out with "Dummies" types of books for algebra, etc) and/or doing extra study of your own. There are many lessons available online:

. . . . .Google results for "evaluating functions"

In an online environment like this, we cannot, unfortunately, replace the missing hours of classroom instruction. We can help students work through specific exercises, but this assistance assumes that the student has at least some grasp of the underlying material. Sorry! :oops:

So study a few online lessons, until you get a feel for the basic terms and techniques. Then attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, or are unsure of your steps or solution, please reply showing all of your work and reasoning. We'll be glad to help you get unstuck: that's the kind of helping we can do! :D

Eliz.