Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

Jaina

I have no idea what to do with this problem, I don't even know what of the information is relevant.

"To specify a function we must give a procedure for obtaining an output (usually numerical and often denoted y) for each input (usually numerical and often denoted x). The definite integral gives us a new way to specify a function. Begin with an integrable function y=f(x) defined on some interval [a, b]. (Remember, all continuous functions are integrable andmany functions that are not continuous are also integreable.) Choose a number c in the interval [a, b]. for each number x between a and b, define F(x) to be the definite integral of f over the interval from c to x.

"For example, suppose f(x)=√(4-x²) so the interval on which f is defineed is [a, b]= [-2, 2]. the graph of y=f(x) is the top half of a circle with radius r=2 centered at (0,0). Choose c=0 and define the function F(x) for each x between -2 and 2 by
F(x)= (integral from 0 to x) f(t) dt = (integral from 0 to x) √(4-t²) dt."

Whew. Now for the questions (can you see why I'm having trouble with this?):

1. Exlpain why the variable of integration in the definition of the function F(x) is t rather than x.
I said that it's a different function than f(x), because if you take the integral of f(t) you should end up with f(x) but I don't know if that's right because he hasn't brought that up yet.

2. There are some values of x for which F(x) is negative. For what values of x is F(x) negative?
I don't even know where to start.

3. Explain how F(x) can have negative values when the graph of the integrand lies entirely above the x-axis.
Again, I have no idea where to start with this.

Hopefully that made a lot more sense to you than it did to me. Can you help me?

This image may help you see what is going on.
funth6hf.gif

Maybe it would, but my bandwidth is too low or something, becaus the image won't show up on my computer. Can you explain it to me?

Try ‘clicking’ on the image to enlarge it.

I can't, it's just a little red X and it won't let me click on it.

That is too bad.
Basically, you are dealing with an even function.
Its anti-derivative is odd.
So if x>0 you get a ‘positive’; x<0 a ‘negative.