General Formula Physics

NaN-Gram

I made some attempts at Exam style questions that my professor released, and I wanted some confirmation that the answers I got were in line with what the problem was asking.

I've posted both the answers and questions they pertain to, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

Attachments

• 7967800.pdf
    265.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Scan Jun 30, 2020.pdf
    952.6 KB · Views: 3
Sorry, let me imbed the images.

Scan Jun 30, 2020-page-001.jpg

7967800-page-003.jpgScan Jun 30, 2020-page-002.jpg

Attachments

• 7967800-page-002.jpg
    7967800-page-002.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
At [3]. Energy equations won't help you find accelerations. Also the hoop has no translational kinetic enegry since it stays in place . It has only rotational kinetic energy. To find accelerations you need to use Newton's laws .
F-W=M*a=0 a is the acceleration of the center of mass of the hoop which is 0 because it says it stays in place , W=M*g weight of hoop, F tension of the string.
Newtons second law for rotation in this case is F*R=I*a' , R the radius of the loop , a' the angular acceleration of the hoop. Also at the point the string "leaves" the hoop you can calculate the total acceleration of that point which is atot=a+a'*R=a'*R,
a'*R=at is the tangential acceleration. The unwinded string has the same acceleration in every point because it can't be stretched ,which is the accleration it has when it "leaves" the hoop (atot). So the point ,where the hand is pulling ,has acceleration atot which is the accleration of the hand , as well. The answers are a) F=W=M*g=1.77 N , b) angular acceleration a'=g/R=125rad/s^2 , c) acceleration of the hand a=g*R/R=g=9,81m/s^2

I'm confused by the explanation you provided for the hand's acceleration. Is the hand rising opposite or along with gravity?