Geometry Problem: How many labels left on roll, given diameter?

Matt G

Hello, new to this forum and I am looking for some help in figuring out an equation related to geometry!

attachment.php

I would like to be able to measure the diameter of this roll of packaging film and estimate how many individual labels remain after some are used. Given number of labels on a new roll, length of each label, diameter of the new roll, and diameter of the outside of cardboard tube that the film is wound on, would there be an equation to help me get a reasonably accurate measure of how many labels remain based on the diameter of the roll during use? If so, what would this equation be? I feel like the film thickness might also be needed but I am not sure...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• C889A6F1.jpg
    C889A6F1.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 20
Hello, new to this forum and I am looking for some help in figuring out an equation related to geometry!

I would like to be able to measure the diameter of this roll of packaging film and estimate how many individual labels remain after some are used. Given number of labels on a new roll, length of each label, diameter of the new roll, and diameter of the outside of cardboard tube that the film is wound on, would there be an equation to help me get a reasonably accurate measure of how many labels remain based on the diameter of the roll during use? If so, what would this equation be? I feel like the film thickness might also be needed but I am not sure...
"The answer" will depend upon how "real world" your instructor is wanting you to be. You can review one archived discussion here. What formula did your textbook give you to use?

Thank you! ;)

"The answer" will depend upon how "real world" your instructor is wanting you to be. You can review one archived discussion here. What formula did your textbook give you to use?

Thank you! ;)

Not in a textbook, this is 100% real world application. I want to verify accuracy of a chart that we are using where I work to make sure that the approximation is accurate. Thanks for the help!

Not in a textbook, this is 100% real world application. I want to verify accuracy of a chart that we are using where I work to make sure that the approximation is accurate. Thanks for the help!
Well then, try using the formulas provided at the link! ;)

Well then, try using the formulas provided at the link! ;)

Stapel - why does my post keep disappearing? I was providing the student with a detailed example showing how to come up with a formula to solve their problem. I believe the material I spent time preparing would have been beneficial to their understanding of this practical problem.