Given |X|+|Y|=1, verify that X and Y are fair but not

houseball

Given |X|+|Y|=1, verify that X and Y are fair but not independent.
Hint: Pr(X<=0.5,Y<=0.5)=Pr(X<=0.5)Pr(Y<=0.5)

Thanks

Also posted here.

You have now posted at least a dozen exercises between just these two sites, showing no effort of your own. Whoever told you that these sites are places where you can post your homework and have people do it for you was very badly mistaken.

Assuming you aren't just spamming these forums, but made an honest mistake, I would request that you please reply to each of your threads, showing everything you have tried thus far.

Thank you.

Eliz.

Hi Eliz.,

Thank you so much for the comment. But I would like to explain my purpose of posting the questions here. To be honest, The questions that I posted are just part of my homework. The homework that I have is 30 questions. I finished all questions except those questions I posted on the internet. Before I posted them here, I had researched for a couple of days but I just have not been able to find any hints for these questions. The main reason that I posted my questions on the internet is to look for hints from others to these confusing questions rather than get the entire solutions to solve them. I hope you understand my situation.

house-ball

houseball said:
I have...30 questions. I finished all...except those questions I posted.... I hope you understand my situation.
I believe I do understand: You've posted about half of your homework, and are unable even to get started on any of them. This would appear to confirm that you need much more intensive assistance than any online service would reasonably be able to provide.

Please consider hiring a tutor with whom you can work face-to-face for an hour or so every day, or else conference with your academic advisor.

My best wishes to you.

Eliz.

independence implies \(\displaystyle P(A\cap B)=P(A)P(B)\)

but an intuitive way to understand it is that having one event happen in X does not in any way influence an event in Y

since |X|+|Y|=1, this implies a relationship between X and Y and therefore they aren't independent. Of course you would need to formalize this argument.