Grams of sugar per serving

Seanettle

Problem is to compare different cereals which have different size recommended servings. For example, 8 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup compared to 9 grams of sugar per 2/3 cup compared to 7 grams of sugar per 1/4 cup etc... I need to know the formula to determine how many grams of sugar per X (x being a constant serving size, regardless of label, for instance grams of sugar per 1 cup for each different cereal) or the formula to convert all the grams of sugar to grams per one ounce of cereal (I think) Can someone help? Thanks!

"cup" is a unit for measuring volume; "ounce" is a unit for measuring weight.

If you want to compare the given measures of sugar per volume, then you can convert each ratio to the equivalent amount of sugar in one cup.

1/4 cup contains 7 grams

We can increase both numbers by a factor of 4:

1 cup contains 28 grams

1/2 cup : 8 grams

We multiply both by 2, to obtain grams per 1 cup:

1 cup : 16 grams

2/3 : 9

Multiply by 3/2:

1 : 27/2 (which is 13.5)

In order, from highest sugar content to lowest:

28 grams per cup (7 grams per 1/4 cup)

16 grams per cup (8 grams per 1/2 cup)

13.5 grams per cup (9 grams per 2/3 cup)

Cheers ~ Mark 8-)

Re:

mmm4444bot said:

"cup" is a unit for measuring volume; "ounce" is a unit for measuring weight.

If you want to compare the given measures of sugar per volume, then you can convert each ratio to the equivalent amount of sugar in one cup.

1/4 cup contains 7 grams

We can increase both numbers by a factor of 4:

1 cup contains 28 grams

1/2 cup : 8 grams

We multiply both by 2, to obtain grams per 1 cup:

1 cup : 16 grams

2/3 : 9

Multiply by 3/2:

1 : 27/2 (which is 13.5)

In order, from highest sugar content to lowest:

28 grams per cup (7 grams per 1/4 cup)

16 grams per cup (8 grams per 1/2 cup)

13.5 grams per cup (9 grams per 2/3 cup)

Cheers ~ Mark 8-)

This was so helpful! Thank you! I wonder how much it would change if I did the grams of sugar per grams of cereal, since as you pointed out cups measure volume not weight. For instance, a cup of cereal like corn flakes will weigh next to nothing, whereas a cup of something dense like grape nuts would weigh a lot more. A half cup of Swiss Muesli weighs 57 grams and has 7 grams of sugar, a full cup of Special K weighs only 31 grams and has 4 grams of sugar. It seems (without doing the actual math) that spreading 7 grams out over 57 grams (in the case of the Muesli) makes a lot less sugar per gram than spreading the 4 grams over the 31 grams of Special K, but I'd have to do the math to be sure. So is the formula simply 7 divided by 57 (Muesli) and 4 divided by 31 (Special K)? Sorry to be so dumb! Thanks for your help!

Seanettle said:
It seems that spreading 7 grams out over 57 grams makes a lot less sugar per gram than spreading the 4 grams over the 31 grams of Special K.

It seems that way, until you compare 57 versus 31 to 7 versus 4.

I mean, 57 is about twice 31, and 7 is about twice 4 (roughly), so their relative sugar content PER GRAM should be close.

Perhaps, you're still thinking in terms of volume, since there is roughly the same amount of sugar in 2.5 cups of Special K product as in 0.7 cups of Muesli product.

simply 7 divided by 57 (Muesli) and 4 divided by 31 (Special K)?

Yes.

I rounded 7/57 and 4/31 to three places, below.

One gram of Muesli product contains 0.123 grams of sugar and 0.877 grams of other stuff.

One gram of Special K product contains 0.129 grams of sugar and 0.871 grams of other stuff.

We can also list grams of cereal containing one gram of sugar by dividing the ratios by 7 and 4, respectively.

There is one gram of sugar in every 8.14 grams of Muesli product.

There is one gram of sugar in every 7.75 grams of Special K product.

Because Muesli product is more dense than Special K product, you can eat more volume of Special K, while ingesting the same amount of sugar.

For example, if you want to limit the sugar to 10 grams (in your bowl of cereal), you can eat a little more than 2/3rds cup Muesli product OR you can eat 2 1/2 cups of Special K product.

(Please verify my math, as I am not responsible for anybody's waistline beyond my own.)