Graphing Coordinates, slopes, line equations, etc.

what1sth1s

hi my teacher was nice enough to let me do all my corrections on my failed test so that she could give me 50%. unfortunately she says she cant help me with them but the thing is if i didn't do the question i obviously don't know how to do it at all. so here i am. we learn at a really fast pace so maybe thats why this stuff isn't getting into my brain. heck i already forgot the stuff we did in the first week.

anyways here are some questions im stuck on.

What is the slope of all lines parallel to 8x-2y=5?

Write the equation of the line that contains (-5,8)?

Change 3x+2y-8=0 to y-intercept form (y=mx+b)

Write the equation of the line that contains (-1,7) and is parallel to the line y=-2x-5

Thanks a lot.

Re: Graphing Coordinates

what1sth1s said:
unfortunately she says she cant help me with them
I wish I knew what that means. Doesn't sound right to me.

What is the slope of all lines parallel to 8x-2y=5?
Slope-intercept form is always useful. Solve for 'y' and read the slope from the x-coefficient.

Write the equation of the line that contains (-5,8)?
A bit tricky, as it is not completely defined. ANY line through (-5,8)? I'll use the Point-Slope form. (y-8)=m*(x+5). Pick a value for 'm'.

Change 3x+2y-8=0 to y-intercept form (y=mx+b)
Isn't that the Slope-Intercept form? Anyway, just solve for 'y'. Can you do that? Please demonstrate.

Write the equation of the line that contains (-1,7) and is parallel to the line y=-2x-5
Same as the poorly defined one above. (y-7) = m(x+1), except we are given a slope, m = -2. Simple as that.

Reality Check - If you really are struggling with ALL these, you simply MUST go have a heart-to-heart chat with your teacher. You may be in the wrong class.

PKA Alert

"y-intercept form"
Am I out of date on this one? Is this new, less descriptive name beginning to invade textbooks?

Re: PKA Alert

tkhunny said:
"y-intercept form"
Am I out of date on this one? Is this new, less descriptive name beginning to invade textbooks?
Not as far as I know! That form is the slope-intercept form.
The intersept form is:

\(\displaystyle \L
\frac{x}{a} + \frac{y}{b} = 1\quad \left[ {ab \not= 0} \right]\)

I feel better. Always good to have an authoritative review.