Graphing

twix3474

Hi,

My daughter has a problem that is asking "Reflect the triangle over the y-axis" She has been given a graph with three coordinates on it that form a triangle (3,2),(5,6)and(8,5). I am not quite sure what the question is asking her to do. Can anyone steer us in the right direction. Thanks.

twix3474 said:
Hi,

My daughter has a problem that is asking "Reflect the triangle over the y-axis" She has been given a graph with three coordinates on it that form a triangle (3,2),(5,6)and(8,5). I am not quite sure what the question is asking her to do. Can anyone steer us in the right direction. Thanks.

I would suggest that you ask your daughter to find the section in her textbook which deals with reflection of a point over a line, and specifically reflecting a point over the y-axis. The material is MOST CERTAINLY explained in her textbook, and examples are provided.

There are also a multitude of websites which explain (and ILLUSTRATE) how to reflect a point over a line. Here's just ONE that may be helpful:

http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/math ... eflect.htm

A search on Google or other search engine on for "reflecting a point over the y-axis" should turn up LOTS of sources on the Internet.

After your daughter has reviewed the material in her textbook, and/or looked at some of those websites, she can follow one of the many examples available.

If she is still having trouble, please have your daughter post, showing what she's tried so we can see where she is having difficulty.

Hello, twix3474

My daughter has a problem that is asking "Reflect the triangle over the y-axis".
She has been given a graph with three coordinates on it that form a triangle (3,2),(5,6) and (8,5).
I am not quite sure what the question is asking her to do.
Can anyone steer us in the right direction?

The concept of "reflection" should have been explained by now.

If the y-axis is a mirror, where is the image of the triangle?

Code:
                  |
          B'      |       B
   C' *           |           * C
                  |
              A'  |   A
    - - - - - - - + - - - - - - - -
                  |