Greatest common divisor between two polynomials (p(x)=x^3+2x^2−x−2 and g(x)=x^3+2x+a) Find all values of a such that....

Aion

Problem: Determine all values for [imath]a[/imath] such that the polynomial [imath]p(x)=x^3+2x^2-x-2[/imath] and [imath]g(x)=x^3+2x+a[/imath] are given non-trivial greatest common divisors and specify these.

I believe the structure of the argument should be of the following form. To find the values of [imath]a[/imath] such that the polynomials [imath]p(x)[/imath] and [imath]g(x)[/imath] we will have non-trivial greatest common divisors we use the Euclidean algorithm. The greatest common divisor of two polynomials divides both polynomials without remainder. If the GCD is non-trivial, it means it is not just a constant multiple of one of the polynomials.

We first calculate [imath]p(x)/g(x)[/imath]. By the division-algorithm theorem there exist some polynomials [imath]q_1(x)[/imath] and [imath]r_1(x)[/imath] such that

[math]p(x)=g(x)q_1(x)+r_1(x) , deg(r_1)<deg(g)=3[/math][math]g(x)=r_1(x)q_2(x)+r_2(x), deg(r_2)<deg(r_1)[/math][math]r_1(x)=r_2(x)q_3(x) + 0, deg(r_3)=0[/math]
But since [imath]gcd(p(x),g(x))=gcd(p(x)-g(x)q_1(x),g(x))=gcd(r_1(x),g(x))=gcd(r_1(x),g(x)-r_1(x)q_2(x))=gcd(r_1(x),r_2(x)))=gcd(r_1(x)-r_2(x)q_3(x),r_2(x))=gcd(0,r_2(x))=r_2(x)[/imath].

We would conclude that any common divisor for [imath]p(x)[/imath] and [imath]g(x)[/imath] must be the polynomial [imath]r_2(x)[/imath] which depends on the constant [imath]a[/imath]. Since the polynomial [imath]r_2(x)[/imath] is the greatest common divisor for [imath]f(x)[/imath]and [imath]g(x)[/imath]and is not a constant polynomial, so we must restrict [imath]a[/imath] such that [imath]r_2=/0[/imath] and [imath]r_3(x)=0[/imath].

This is my computation attempt.

[math]p(x)=x^3+2x^2-x-2=1(x^3+2x+a)+(2x^2-3x-(2+a))=q_1(x)g(x)+r_1(x)[/math]
for [imath]q_1(x)=1[/imath] and [imath]r_1(x)= (2x^{2}-3x-(2+a))[/imath]

[math]g(x)=r_1(x)(\frac{x}{2}+\frac{3}{4})+(\frac{1}{4}(x(21+2a)+(6+7a))[/math]
for [imath]q_2(x)=\frac{x}{2}+\frac{3}{4}[/imath] and [imath]r_2(x)=\frac{1}{4}(x(21+2a)+(6+7a)[/imath]

[math]r_1(x)=r_2(x)(\frac{8x}{21+2a}-\frac{4(62a+111)}{(2a+21)^2})+ (\frac{4(62a+111)(7a+6)}{(2a+21)^2}-(2+a))=r_2(x)q_3(x)+r_3(x)[/math]
for [imath]q_3(x)=\frac{8x}{21+2a}-\frac{4(62a+111)}{(2a+21)^2}[/imath] and [imath]r_3(x)=(\frac{4(62a+111)(7a+6)}{(2a+21)^2}-(2+a))[/imath]

Here I'm stuck since to determine the condition such that [imath]r_3(x)=0[/imath], you must solve a third degree equation, all I conclude from the above would be that [imath]a\neq-21/2[/imath]. I'm pretty sure I've made a misstake in my reasoning and any advice would be appreciated.

Problem: Determine all values for [imath]a[/imath] such that the polynomial [imath]p(x)=x^3+2x^2-x-2[/imath] and [imath]g(x)=x^3+2x+a[/imath] are given non-trivial greatest common divisors and specify these.
What is the context of the question? What course is it for?

My first thought is just to factor p (since that's easy) and see what a has to be in order for each of those factors to be a factor of g. That seems a lot simpler.

What is the context of the question? What course is it for?

My first thought is just to factor p (since that's easy) and see what a has to be in order for each of those factors to be a factor of g. That seems a lot simpler.

By factoring the two polynomials we obtain

[math]p(x)=(x+2)(x-1)(x+1)[/math] and

[math]g(x)=(x+2)(x^2-2x+2)+a+4[/math]
Hence [imath]gcd(p,g)=x+2[/imath] for [imath]a=-4[/imath], also

[math]g(x)=(x-1)(x^2+x+3)+a+3[/math]
such that [imath]gcd(p,g)=x-1[/imath] for [imath]a=-3[/imath], similarly

[math]g(x)=(x+1)(x^2-x+3)+a-3[/math]
therefore [imath]gcd(p,g)=x+1[/imath] for [imath]a=3[/imath]

Is this reasoning correct?

By factoring the two polynomials we obtain

[math]p(x)=(x+2)(x-1)(x+1)[/math] and

[math]g(x)=(x+2)(x^2-2x+2)+a+4[/math]
Hence [imath]gcd(p,g)=x+2[/imath] for [imath]a=-4[/imath], also

[math]g(x)=(x-1)(x^2+x+3)+a+3[/math]
such that [imath]gcd(p,g)=x-1[/imath] for [imath]a=-3[/imath], similarly

[math]g(x)=(x+1)(x^2-x+3)+a-3[/math]
therefore [imath]gcd(p,g)=x+1[/imath] for [imath]a=3[/imath]

Is this reasoning correct?
Made a mistake. Clearly

[math]g(x)=(x+2)(x^2-2x+6)+a-12[/math]
So [imath]gcd(p,g)=x+2[/imath] for [imath]a=12[/imath]

Yes, that's what I did. When you say "factoring the two polynomials", you mean "dividing the second by each factor of the first, to determine the condition under which it will be a factor."