Group Theory: beginner comprehension issues with basic definition

GuyN

I’m trying to understand Group Theory: perhaps over-optimistically, because I only have high-school maths (UK A-level).

I have some comprehension issues with basic definitions.

Very briefly: I understand that a group is a structure comprising a set of elements and a binary operator, denoted (S,∗), where S
is the set and ∗ the operator, for example (ℤ,+). [Binary in the sense that it operates on any two elements of the set.] And it must meet four conditions: closure, associative, identity, inverse (just short-hands, but I’m assuming they’re comprehensible to people who understand group theory). My comprehension issues are with closure and inverse (at least, I think that's where my issues are).

Also very briefly: I understand that a subgroup is a subset of S with the same operator as its parent group, and which is itself a group as defined.

Closure (if I understand correctly): “If a and b are members of the group, then ab must also be a member of the group.” In other words, the group must be closed under its operator. So as I understand it: the infinitely large group (ℤ,+) is closed, but (1,2,3,+) is not closed, and thus cannot be a group. And (1,2,3,x) likewise can’t be a group, because although 1x2=2 which is in-group, 2x3=6 which is not-in-group. Does this mean that all groups must comprise infinitely large sets? I mean: when the operation is x, a x 1 will always be in-group; when the operation is +, a + 0 will always be in-group; but for all other instances of a x b or a + b to be in-group, the group must surely be infinitely large? And that doesn’t appear to be the case: at least, it surely can’t be the case for subgroups??? I think I must be misunderstanding something here.

Inverse (if I understand correctly): “The inverse of every element in the group must also be in the group, where the inverse of element a is the element that combines with a to give the identity.” So for example if the group’s operation is multiplication (hence identity element is 1) and a is 5, then a-1 = 0.2 must also be an element of the group. Is this example correct? I’m not sure: it seems to imply that (ℤ,x) can’t be a group. Which doesn’t sound right. Again, I think I must be misunderstanding something.

I’m sure these are very dumb questions, but I’d really appreciate any help: thanks so much.

No, groups do not have to have an infinite set.
Imagine the set S={1,-1} with the operation being ordinary multiplication.
Note that 1*1, 1*-1, -1*1 and -1*-1 are all in the set S. So (S,*) is closed. 1 is the id element as 1*-1=-1, -1*1=-1 and 1*1=1. The inverse of 1 is 1 and the inverse of -1 is -1. Does (S,*) have the associative law? Why/why not? If it does, then (S,*) is a (finite) group.
What about a set that just has the identity element? Like ({0},+) or ({1},*)??

These are definitely not dumb questions. It came from you thinking and that is ALWAYS good and never dumb. As you mature mathematically you will start to see these 'obvious' examples on your own.
Know consider modular sets!

the infinitely large group (ℤ,+) is closed, but (1,2,3,+) is not closed
Since you're new to this, I'll make some small comments about notation, as needed.

What you said here should have been ({1,2,3},+). Do you see why?

Does this mean that all groups must comprise infinitely large sets?
If your textbook didn't start out with examples of finite groups, they will show some soon! Check the index for "finite groups". Typically, as you've observed, they will need to have operations different from ordinary addition and multiplication. (Except for special cases such as @Steven G's.)
I’m not sure: it seems to imply that (ℤ,x) can’t be a group. Which doesn’t sound right.
Why should it be a group? You're right; it isn't.

I think probably your "comprehension" issues will turn out to be lack of examples! This is a topic that really demands them, so you can expand your view of what sorts of sets and operations it might apply to. Without that, it is indeed hard to comprehend.

Inverse (if I understand correctly): “The inverse of every element in the group must also be in the group, where the inverse of element a is the element that combines with a to give the identity.” So for example if the group’s operation is multiplication (hence identity element is 1)
I tried posting this hours ago but the site was down--at least for me.
That would only be true if when you say multiplication you mean standard multiplication.
You can have abstract multiplication and abstract addition. Let the set G be the set of integers. Let a and b be in G. Suppose a '+' b = a+b-1. For example 7 '+' 9 = 7+9-1= 16-1 = 15. What would the identity element be? Since the operation is addition, will the identity element be 1??

If you want to study group theory then I recommend that you study from from Herstein's Topics in Algebra textbook. It is written extremely well. I have no idea why anyone would be writing any Algebra books covering the same topics at this point.