Hard Question

Hi there, I came across this question for a school assignment and I've already tried solving it but I think it may involve logarithms? I'm not too sure about how to go about it so guidance would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 6.31.50 PM.png

Hi. I didn't see anything to try with logarithms, so I'd looked for a pattern by trying smaller numbers.

(1 + 2)(1^2 + 2^2) = 2^x - 1^x

Can you work that out by trial and error? (It helps to be familiar with beginning powers of 2.)

Then try this one.

(1 + 2)(1^2 + 2^2)(1^4 + 2^4) = 2^x - 1^x

Do you see a pattern forming?

:)

Use difference of squares. What is (6 - 5)(6 + 5)? Then continue...

I'll give an extra hint, since it's a day later...

[imath](6+5) (6^2+5^2) \cdots[/imath]

[imath]= \color{red}1\times\color{black}(6+5) (6^2+5^2)\cdots[/imath]

[imath]= \color{red}(6-5) \color{black}(6+5) (6^2+5^2)\cdots[/imath]

[imath]= (6^2-5^2) (6^2+5^2) \cdots[/imath]

[imath]= (6^4-5^4)\cdots[/imath]

Hi. I didn't see anything to try with logarithms, so I'd looked for a pattern by trying smaller numbers.

(1 + 2)(1^2 + 2^2) = 2^x - 1^x

Can you work that out by trial and error? (It helps to be familiar with beginning powers of 2.)

Then try this one.

(1 + 2)(1^2 + 2^2)(1^4 + 2^4) = 2^x - 1^x

Do you see a pattern forming?

Use difference of squares. What is (6 - 5)(6 + 5)? Then continue...
Thank you both for the responses! I was able to find x but I think there may be a gap in my knowledge/understanding because I don't fully understand the working out. I would really appreciate a more detailed explanation if possible? But thank you for taking the time to respond to my question! :)

I was able to find x but I think there may be a gap in my knowledge/understanding because I don't fully understand the working out.
Hi. Please show us what you did to find the x-solution. Can you identify for us the part(s) of your work for which you sense a lack of understanding? Thanks!

The way I comprehended it, I saw that x would always equal double the exponent in the last bracket. e.g: if it was (6^2 + 5^2), x = 4; if it was (6^32 + 5^32), x = 64
And I'm not sure if I was supposed to get the answer like that? ?

With @Cubist 's response, I didn't really understand how a difference of squares was involved and with your response, I wasn't exactly sure if I was following it correctly.

Thanks again :)

I saw that x would always equal double the exponent in the last bracket...not sure if I was supposed to get the answer like that?
How did you see it? A guess or calculations.

You haven't posted any context or instructions that apply, so we're free to solve such problems by inspection, educated guesses and so on.

didn't really understand how a difference of squares was involved
Well, did you try it? That is, did you multiply out the first few factors, to see a pattern? If you need to turn in a written answer, that would be a nice demonstration based on solid algebra.

Maybe this will help you. A difference of even powers like a^4 - b^4 may be viewed as a difference of squares. We can see it as (a^2)^2 - (b^2)^2 so it factors as (a^2 + b^2) (a^2 - b^2).

Reason through it on paper, starting with what you know. You can multiply binomials, yes? That is, double distribution, also known by FOIL. Do the multiplications shown in post #4. Extend the pattern.