Having a hard time understanding Probability

loneranger

Hey guys,

I'm having a very hard time understanding concepts of probability and answering few basic questions .

I have a sample dataset (test.txt - attached. Please convert to .csv to see as excel file) and I am unable to answer few questions on the same.

Scenario
Each row contains a combination of age group, alcohol consumption group, and tobacco consumption group, followed by the number of cancer cases and number of controls for study subjects in that combined grouping. Need answers to below questions with explanation if possible.

1. How many groups are in the study?
  2. What is the probability that a subject in the highest alcohol consumption group is a cancer case?
  3. What is the probability that a subject in the lowest alcohol consumption group is a cancer case?

Attachments

• test.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 41
Hey guys,

I'm having a very hard time understanding concepts of probability and answering few basic questions .

I have a sample dataset (test.txt - attached. Please convert to .csv to see as excel file) and I am unable to answer few questions on the same.

Scenario
Each row contains a combination of age group, alcohol consumption group, and tobacco consumption group, followed by the number of cancer cases and number of controls for study subjects in that combined grouping. Need answers to below questions with explanation if possible.

1. How many groups are in the study?
  2. What is the probability that a subject in the highest alcohol consumption group is a cancer case?
  3. What is the probability that a subject in the lowest alcohol consumption group is a cancer case?
Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

What is the definition of "group" in this assignment?

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

READ BEFORE POSTING

Hey Subhotosh, Its in the attachment :). I have the dataset attached, that defines everything.
The concept of "group" is NOT carefully in either the attachment or the question. Did you give the exact and complete wording of the problem?

One way to answer the first question is to say three groups, one by age, one by alcohol consumption, and one by tobacco consumption. But then they talk about "that combined grouping." Huh, what is that? Then they talk about "the highest alcohol consumption group," which definitely implies more than three "groups."

The word "group" has defined meanings in mathematics. Which one are you using?

Actually, it appears to me that what you are talking about are sets and their unions and intersections, all of which make sense in the context of probability theory.

Finally, do you really expect us to do the work of turning this mess into a workable spreadsheet. If you do that, at least then we shall know what you think is meant by "group." As our name implies, we are a free help site, not a free do-your-work-for-you site.