HCF/LCM: If HCF(x, y) = 1, then what is LCM(x, y)? etc.

Monkeyseat

Yes I know these are dead basic. It's been ages since I did LCM and HCF and someone is asking me these questions and I just can't remember. I do understand HCF/LCM but I've had a look on Google and can't really figure these out. I know it's easy but thanks. :) I guessed that the first question was 2. XD

1) Two numbers, x and y, have an HCF of 1. What is the LCM of x and y?
2) Two numbers, x and y, (where y is bigger than x) have an HCF of x. What is the
LCM of x and y?

Cheers.

Re: HCF/LCM

Monkeyseat said:
Yes I know these are dead basic. It's been ages since I did LCM and HCF and someone is asking me these questions and I just can't remember. I do understand HCF/LCM but I've had a look on Google and can't really figure these out. I know it's easy but thanks. :) I guessed that the first question was 2. XD

HCF of 1 means those do not have any common factor.

In that case the lowest Common Multiple would be x * y

[quote:2b586otb]2) Two numbers, x and y, (where y is bigger than x) have an HCF of x. What is the
LCM of x and y?

If HCF is one of the numbers (x) - then y = x * n

In that case Lowest Common Multiple would be....

Cheers.[/quote:2b586otb]

Subhotosh Khan said:
Monkeyseat said:

HCF of 1 means those do not have any common factor.

[quote:e9vavp0c]2) Two numbers, x and y, (where y is bigger than x) have an HCF of x. What is the
LCM of x and y?

If HCF is one of the numbers (x) - then y = x * n

In that case Lowest Common Multiple would be....

Cheers.
[/quote:e9vavp0c]

1)

So because we have no numbers would it xy? Because it could be anything depending on the numbers e.g. 3 and 5, 5 and 7 etc.

2)

What is n? Don't quite get that.

Please reply. Thank you.

Monkeyseat said:
[1)

So because we have no numbers would it xy? Because it could be anything depending on the numbers e.g. 3 and 5, 5 and 7 etc.

Example

Say x = 5 and y = 21 ...............They do not have any common factor (HCF = 1)

Then LCM = 5*21 = 105

Another example:

Say x = 15 and y = 28 ...............They do not have any common factor (HCF = 1)

Then LCM = 15*28 = 420

2)

'n' is any integer.

Example

Say x = 5 and y = 15 ...............5 is a factor of 15 ( y = 3 * x -> HCF = 5 )

Then LCM = 15

Another example:

Say x = 10 and y = 90 ...............10 is a factor of 90 ( y = 9 * x -> HCF = 10 )

Then LCM = 90

Please reply. Thank you.

Subhotosh Khan said:
Monkeyseat said:
[1)

Example

Say x = 5 and y = 21 ...............They do not have any common factor (HCF = 1)

Then LCM = 5*21 = 105

Another example:

Say x = 15 and y = 28 ...............They do not have any common factor (HCF = 1)

Then LCM = 15*28 = 420

2)

'n' is any integer.

Example

Say x = 5 and y = 15 ...............5 is a factor of 15 ( y = 3 * x -> HCF = 5 )

Then LCM = 15

Another example:

Say x = 10 and y = 90 ...............10 is a factor of 90 ( y = 9 * x -> HCF = 10 )

Then LCM = 90

Please reply. Thank you.

I still don't understand the examples did not clarify it. No. 2 we are looking for HCF not LCM. Is 1 just xy? Can you just tell me the answer and explain it then I might? It's not homework or anything.

Thanks.

Subhotosh Khan said:
Monkeyseat said:
[1)

Example

Then LCM = 5*21 = 105

Another example:

Then LCM = 15*28 = 420

2)

'n' is any integer.

Example

Then LCM = 15

Another example:

Then LCM = 90

Please reply. Thank you.

I want you to write down every step of above examples.

Then come back to me and indicate to me exactly where I am loosing you.

1)

I have read your answer several times. I understand what you are saying about question one but it just trails off at the end.

The numbers are different each time. In the question I gave it does not give any number values so is it xy??? Please can I have just a yes/no?

2)

Ooops yes I meant LCM sorry. I don't get any of what you are saying here. How many times x goes into y then what it has to be multiplied by to get the HCF? Can you do it without the numbers like in the question? Is the answer xn?

I'm finding your explanations a bit confusing but I want to keep at it. There aren't any numbers in the question so the answer has to just be symbols like xy right? I dunno lol. :? This isn't homework, I just want to know so if you could just explain it that would be great. Thanks.

EDIT:

Did someone edit the topic title? :?

Monkeyseat said:
I understand what you are saying about question one but it just trails off at the end.
At which point? The tutor requested that you specify where you're getting lost.

Monkeyseat said:
The numbers are different each time.
Yes, so you can see and learn the pattern, and then apply that pattern to the variables.

Monkeyseat said:
Please can I have just a yes/no?
Legitimate tutors try to help the student learn; I'm afraid they don't usually just give out the answers, especially when the student appears not to be in the position to benefit (learn) from this. Sorry.

Monkeyseat said:
2)I don't get any of what you are saying here....Can you do it without the numbers like in the question?
If you can't follow the examples with numbers, then a non-numerical answer would be even less conprehensible. You need first to understand the easy (numerical) case before attempting to move on to the hard (general) case.

Eliz.

Monkeyseat said:
1)

I have read your answer several times.

I believe that is your problem - you are reading - not writing it down.

For example, I answered question 1 - explicitly - with my first post. You did not get it because you did not write it down

[/quote]

stapel said:
Monkeyseat said:
I understand what you are saying about question one but it just trails off at the end.
At which point? The tutor requested that you specify where you're getting lost.

At the end, I believed the answer was xy but I just wanted that confirming.

stapel said:
Monkeyseat said:
The numbers are different each time.
Yes, so you can see and learn the pattern, and then apply that pattern to the variables.

I looked at that but I never saw any pattern. I'm not a maths wizz like you.

stapel said:
Monkeyseat said:
Please can I have just a yes/no?
Legitimate tutors try to help the student learn; I'm afraid they don't usually just give out the answers, especially when the student appears not to be in the position to benefit (learn) from this. Sorry.

What? I am benefiting from this, otherwise I wouldn't be asking the question for so long. It's just out of interest. I belived that I had the answer but I just wanted it checking - that's hardly dishing out the answers.

stapel said:
Monkeyseat said:
2)I don't get any of what you are saying here....Can you do it without the numbers like in the question?
If you can't follow the examples with numbers, then a non-numerical answer would be even less conprehensible. You need first to understand the easy (numerical) case before attempting to move on to the hard (general) case.

But if it was in the same context of the question I might have understood it more. Never mind.

Subhotosh Khan said:
Monkeyseat said:
1)

I have read your answer several times.

I believe that is your problem - you are reading - not writing it down.

For example, I answered question 1 - explicitly - with my first post. You did not get it because you did not write it down

Actually I did write it down and I saw that what you said was x * y, however, I was just inquiring whether there was a specific answer with numbers (due to this "pattern" I was told about) or whether the question was just general like xy.

To make it clearer:

1) I understand all of what you are doing in question 1, I believe the answer is xy, but if it is otherwise and there are specific numerical values please can you point me in the right direction (not tell me the answer :roll:)?

2) I don't understand what you are doing here at all from the first step. Please could you go over it again with a bit more explanation instead of just writing the steps out (i.e. with some text). I'm not asking for the answers, just some help.

Sorry, I've gone over it loads.

Many thanks, it's apprciated. :)

Just bumping this back up to see if someone can clear it up. :? Sorry about this.

Many thanks.